The selected practical tools listed here are to get you started on several of the new or adapted processes outlined in this playbook right away. The individual toolkits on AMA STEPS Forward® include these and additional resources.
- De-implementation checklist (PDF)
- Synchronized prescription renewal checklist (DOCX)
- Questions to help uncover medication nonadherence (DOCX)
- Pre-appointment questionnaire (DOCX)
- Visit planner checklist (DOCX)
- Pre-registration checklist (DOCX)
- Rooming checklist (DOCX)
- Discharge checklist (DOCX)
- Savings calculator: Annual prescription renewal
- Savings calculator: Pre-visit laboratory testing
- ROI calculator: The organizational cost of physician burnout
Take the next steps on the journey with the AMA STEPS Forward® Practice Innovation resources and assets.
Using the 5-pronged approach (Act, Recognize, Measure, Convene, Research) as your guide, employ the evidence-based, field-tested and targeted solutions described below to optimize practice efficiencies, reduce burnout and improve professional well-being.
- View the comprehensive portfolio of AMA STEPS Forward® resources at STEPSForward, including:
- Email [email protected] to connect with a physician coach to support practice intervention efforts (include “Request for physician coaching” in the email subject line)
- Participate in the Individual Recognition Program and find new ways to engage with your team
- Use the Joy in Medicine™ Health System Recognition Program as a roadmap to support your organization’s strategic efforts
- Take our practice assessment to identify and prioritize your workflow intervention efforts
- Encourage your organization to measure professional well-being on an annual basis
- Join us at the AMA Practice Innovation Academy for timely and relevant webinars and more
- Attend upcoming conferences, summits and events as they are announced
- Stay abreast of meaningful research to guide your professional well-being strategies and interventions
Learn more at STEPSForward.org.
AMA STEPS Forward® Playbook Series
This Playbook is part of the AMA STEPS Forward interactive practice transformation program. Each playbook in the series highlights key messages and links to free online toolkits, videos, podcasts and practical tools to start creating change today. The objective of the playbook series is to offer you a high‑level overview of an area that you can choose to dive deeper into at your own pace.
AMA STEPS Forward® Practice Innovation Strategies
The AMA STEPS Forward program offers practice innovation strategies that allow physicians and their teams to thrive in the evolving health care environment by working smarter, not harder. Physicians looking to refocus their practice can turn to AMA STEPS Forward for proven, physician-developed strategies for confronting common challenges in busy medical settings and devoting more time to caring for patients. This collection offers more than 70 online toolkits and other resources that help physicians and medical teams make transformative changes to their practices, including in the areas of managing stress, preventing burnout and improving practice workflow.
AMA Professional Satisfaction and Practice Sustainability Group
The AMA Professional Satisfaction and Practice Sustainability group has been tasked with developing and promoting innovative strategies that create sustainable practices. Leveraging findings from the 2013 AMA/RAND Health study, “Factors affecting physician professional satisfaction and their implications for patient care, health systems and health policy” and other research sources, the group developed a series of practice transformation strategies.
AMA STEPS Forward® content is provided for informational purposes only, is believed to be current and accurate at the time of posting, and is not intended as, and should not be construed to be, legal, financial, medical, or consulting advice. Physicians and other users should seek competent legal, financial, medical, and consulting advice. AMA STEPS Forward® content provides information on commercial products, processes, and services for informational purposes only. The AMA does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services and mention of the same in AMA STEPS Forward® content is not an endorsement or recommendation. The AMA hereby disclaims all express and implied warranties of any kind related to any third-party content or offering. The AMA expressly disclaims all liability for damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on AMA STEPS Forward® content.