The AMA created CPT data over 50 years ago to provide health care professionals with a uniform language for medical coding and medical billing. Through an extensive editorial process involving a community of national experts and representatives, CPT material is continually reviewed, revised and updated to reflect changes in medical care.
Use or reprinting of CPT information in any product or publication requires either a distribution or internal-use license. To obtain either, email the completed application form to CPT Intellectual Property Services at [email protected] or mail it to:
CPT Intellectual Property Services
American Medical Association
330 N. Wabash, Suite 39300
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Distribution licenses provide the nonexclusive right to use CPT data in content-added products (where CPT content is combined with other information). Reprinting of CPT material alone is not permitted.
- Royalties to use CPT material:
- Electronic or Internet product: $15.50 per user, per product.
- Print publication royalty: $15.50 per distributed copy.
- Distribution may be in print, electronic media or over the Internet, but the latter requires use of certain security features.
- International rights are available.
- Details regarding royalty reporting and payments are outlined in the distribution license agreement.
- Reports and payments are due quarterly or semiannually.
- A Minimum Annual Royalty Fee is due with the first royalty report and payment covering each calendar year.