Becoming an Official Observer
The following guidelines are used as a basis for considering eligibility of organizations requesting official observer status. Access the AMA bylaws pertaining to official observers (PDF) for more information.
- The organization and the AMA should already have established an informal relationship and have worked together for the mutual benefit of both.
- The organization should be national in scope and have similar goals and concerns about health care issues.
- The organization is expected to add a unique perspective or bring expertise to the deliberations of the House of Delegates (HOD).
- The organization does not represent narrow religious, social, cultural, economic or regional interests so that formal ties with the AMA would be welcomed universally by AMA members.
National organizations may apply to the board of trustees for official observer status in the American Medical Association House of Delegates by submitting a written request to:
Chair, Board of Trustees
American Medical Association
330 N. Wabash Ave., Suite 39300
Chicago, Illinois 60611
House of Delegates Official Observers
- Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care
- Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions
- Alliance for Regenerative Medicine
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Association
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- American Dental Association
- American Health Quality Association
- American Hospital Association
- American Nurses Association
- American Public Health Association
- Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
- Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
- Council of Medical Specialty Societies
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- Federation of State Physician Health Programs
- Medical Group Management Association
- National Association of County and City Health Officials
- National Commission on Correctional Health Care
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- National Indian Health Board
- Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education
- U.S. Pharmacopeia