The Women Physicians Section (WPS) met virtually on Nov. 8, 2020, with more than 60 physicians and medical students in attendance.
The WPS hosted an engaging keynote presentation on “Gendered differences in medical students’ sense of belonging in orthopedic surgery: A multi-institution study” by:
- Cara Cipriano, MD, MSCI, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
- Katherine Gerull, MD, PGY-1 resident physician, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Drs. Cipriano and Gerull were the 2019 recipients of a research grant from the Joan F. Giambalvo, MD, Fund for the Advancement of Women.
The WPS reviewed several items of business before the House of Delegates, including resolutions authored by the section on such issues as:
- Addressing maternal discrimination
- Fatigue mitigation for faculty and residents
- Medical-legal partnerships
- The creation of an AMA global non-discrimination policy
The business meeting included a review of results of this year’s Women in Medicine Month.
Lastly, during the WPS Associates meeting participants discussed the impact of COVID-19 on women in medicine and female patients.