The Women Physicians Section (WPS) held its June 2022 section business meeting on Friday, June 10, 2022. This meeting was attended by more than 40 members.
The WPS keynote address, “Women Physicians in Transition: Learning to Navigate the Pipeline from Early to Mid-Career,” featured an update from one of the 2019 Giambalvo Award winners. Geneen Gin, DO, discussed the unique obstacles faced by women physicians while progressing through their careers, navigating career advancement and seeking balance between professional and personal responsibilities.
Visit the education sessions page for additional information on this topic and other sessions.
The WPS meeting reviewed several items of business before the AMA House of Delegates, including the following resolutions authored by the section:
- Resolution 003: Gender Equity and Female Physician Work Patterns During the Pandemic
- Resolution 014: Healthcare Equity Through Informed Consent and a Collaborative Healthcare Model for the Gender Diverse Population
- Resolution 015: Increasing Mental Health Screenings by Refugee Resettlement Agencies and Improving Mental Health Outcomes for Refugee Women
- Resolution 016: Addressing and Banning Unjust and Invasive Medical Procedures Among Migrant Women at the Border
- Resolution 303: Fatigue Mitigation Respite for Faculty and Residents
- Resolution 403: Addressing Maternal Discrimination and Support for Flexible Family Leave
On Sunday, the WPS Associates meeting hosted its first speed mentoring event with nearly 50 attendees. Topics for discussion included leadership, negotiation, work-life harmony, career transitions and overcoming the impostor phenomenon.
Aleesha Shaik, MD, was elected as the new WPS chair. Susan Hingle-Thompson, MD, was elected as the new WPS vice-chair.
For additional information on the June WPS meeting, visit the section's meetings and events page.