The Senior Physicians Section (SPS) met virtually on Sunday, Nov. 7.
The SPS Governing Council met Wednesday, Nov. 3 to review HOD resolutions and reports related to senior physician issues. Four SPS resolutions were submitted to the HOD for consideration at the meeting.
- Resolution 102, Prevention of Hearing Loss-Associated-Cognitive-Impairment through Earlier Recognition and Remediation
- Resolution 103, Oral Healthcare IS Healthcare
- Resolution 401, Endorsement of Public Health Measures to End the COVID-19 Pandemic and Promotion of Research and Insurance Coverage to Define and Delimit the Emerging Issue of Post Acute Covid Syndrome
- Resolution 601, “Virtual Water Cooler" for our AMA
The onsite assembly meeting included a discussion of SPS business items coming forward for the November 2021 Special Meeting. The Section supported two CME reports from prior SPS resolutions.
- CME Report 1, Guiding principles and Appropriate Criteria for Assessing the Competency of Late Career Physicians.
- CME Report 4, Medical Student Debt and Career Choice
SPS sponsored an educational program on Sunday, Nov. 7 entitled, "Breaking the script—Improving end-of-life care communication for seniors and LGBTQ elders." This well-attended program featured Carey Candrian, PhD, associate professor of the division of general internal medicine at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
The panelists were:
- Magda Houlberg, MD, LGBTQ Advisory Committee
- Frank Dowling, MD, LGBTQ Advisory Committee
- Deaton Jones, MSS Governing Council
- Amita Gupta, MD, MHS, professor of medicine and international health, Johns Hopkins University
The program was moderated by Ved Gossain, MD, chair-elect of the AMA Senior Physicians Section. This program discussed how physicians can make communications changes to improve care and advance equity in aging.
View the presentation slides (PDF) from the November 2021 Senior Physicians Section Meeting.
Visit the education sessions page for additional information on this topic and other sessions.
For additional information on the November SPS meeting, visit the agenda & resources page.