The AMA Organized Medical Staff Section (OMSS) met virtually on Sunday, Nov. 8, with more than 50 physician members in attendance. These dedicated OMSS representatives have been selected by their medical staff colleagues to represent their staffs at OMSS meetings and to serve as liaisons between their staffs and the AMA throughout the year.
The OMSS Assembly considered four resolutions and conducted a thorough review of the items of business before the House of Delegates, prompting robust discussion on issues such as:
- Reducing the prevalence of violence against health care professionals outside of the workplace, especially when those acts appear motivated by the victim’s identification as a health care professional
- The importance of payment reform in an extended crisis such as COVID-19
- Medical staff role in ensuring the availability of personal protective equipment (PPE)
The Section transmitted three resolutions to the House of Delegates for consideration at the November 2020 Special Meeting.
Congratulations to the following members elected to the 2020-2022 governing council:
- Chair: John Spurlock, MD
- Vice chair: Nancy Church, MD
- Secretary: John Flores, MD
- Delegate: Matthew Gold, MD
- Alternate delegate: Nancy Fan, MD
- Members at-large: Woody Jenkins, MD and Nancy Mueller, MD
A special thank you to David Welsh, MD, who will transition to immediate past chair following this meeting. Thank you for your service!