Get involved in community service activities at the local, state and national levels. Show us how you are moving medicine!
Learn how to apply for a Section Involvement Grant, participate in the Medical Student Section National Service Project and find community service project ideas.
Section Involvement Grant Program Overview
Section Involvement Grants (SIGs) are available to local AMA medical student sections to:
- Recruit and educate nonmember students about an AMA membership and offer opportunities for students to get involved.
- Organize community service and education events designed to strengthen their local section and further AMA policy.
- Help put AMA policy into action (PDF) by providing a service to medical school campuses or communities.
Grant Award Amounts
Local medical school sections are eligible to receive up to $1,000 per academic year to support recruitment, education, community service and National Service Project events. Medical school section leaders are encouraged to organize several projects throughout the year.
How to Apply for a Section Involvement Grant
Before applying for a section involvement grant, please follow these steps:
- Step 1: Review the 4 main event types that are awarded grants and make sure your event aligns with these categories.
- Step 2: Submit an application before the event.
- Step 3: Submit a recap after the event.
Step 1: Review the Section Involvement Grants Categories
SIGs are categorized into 4 main event types:
- Recruitment Events
Educate your fellow medical students about the importance of AMA membership and opportunities for medical students within the AMA Medical Student Section. Recruitment events are most beneficial at the beginning of the school year. At these events, AMA information is presented and AMA members from your local section share how the AMA contributes to their medical school experiences and professional growth. Event examples include socials, barbecues, lunch and learns about member benefits and member bring a nonmember activities.
- Education/Local Section Development Events
Focus on events that help develop local sections and their members through education sessions, workshops, retreats and lunchtime seminars. Please note that resolution writing is an item of business at a local school's section meeting and does not fall under the criteria for a SIG funded event.
- Community Service Events
Plan an event that addresses topics relevant to public health, medical education, medical practice, patient safety, community outreach and more. Local sections are strongly encouraged to use the grants as "seed money" to support a project that has start-up costs, but can then be maintained for little or no money. Examples of projects in this area include: starting a music library at a local hospital that is periodically staffed by members; organizing a workshop to train students on vision screenings so that they can do them in the community throughout the year or purchasing blood pressure cuffs for use in hypertension screenings.
- National Service Project
An event may focus on the MSS National Service Project theme of Combating the Opioid Epidemic.
Step 2: Apply for a Section Involvement Grant
- Complete the online Section Involvement Grants application at least 30 days before the scheduled event. You must have an active AMA medical student membership to apply. Join or renew your membership.
- Please be sure that preparation of this application is coordinated with your officers and recruiter. All local sections receiving SIG funding must complete a SIG recap form within 30 days of the event. Be sure to review the conditions before completing an application. If you have any questions, please contact Adam Currier, MSS program administrator, at [email protected].
Funding is not guaranteed and each event will be evaluated on an individual basis.