Code of Medical Ethics Opinion 7.1.5
Biomedical and health research is intended to advance medical knowledge to benefit future patients. To achieve those goals physicians who are involved in such research maintain the highest standards of professionalism and scientific integrity.
Physicians with oversight responsibilities in biomedical or health research have a responsibility to ensure that allegations of scientific misconduct are addressed promptly and fairly. They should ensure that procedures to resolve such allegations:
- Do not damage science.
- Resolve charges expeditiously.
- Treat all parties fairly and justly. Review procedures should be sensitive to parties’ reputations and vulnerabilities.
- Maintain the integrity of the process. Real or perceived conflicts of interest must be avoided.
- Maintain accurate and thorough documentation throughout the process.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality.
- Take appropriate action to discharge responsibilities to all individuals involved, as well as to the public, research sponsors, the scientific literature, and the scientific community.
AMA Principles of Medical Ethics: I, III, V
Read more opinions about this topic
Visit the Ethics main page to access additional Opinions, the Principles of Medical Ethics and more information about the Code of Medical Ethics.