AMA-Women Physicians Section
Annual Business Meeting
June 11, 2016
Check back in August for registration and meeting agenda.
The WPS Interim business meeting will take place Saturday, November 11, 2016, at the Walt Disney World Swan/Dolphin, Orlando, Florida. Additional details and a meeting agenda will be available at a later time.
Our AMA-WPS Associates Breakfast is scheduled to take place Sunday, November 12, 2016. Additional details and a meeting agenda will be available at a later time.
The resolution deadline for the 2016 Interim Business Meeting of the AMA-WPS is August 30.
Each resolution submitted to the AMA-WPS Assembly will result in either a directive for action by the Governing Council or a resolution to the AMA-HOD. With this process, the AMA-WPS welcomes resolutions that offer a clear directive to the Governing Council (e.g., work with AMA staff to integrate women physicians into AMA activities), resolutions that seek to create new AMA policy, or resolutions that seek to amend existing AMA policy. Resolutions that seek to create AMA-WPS projects that require additional resources will not be accepted. However, resolutions that ask the AMA-WPS to ask the AMA to implement a similar project will be accepted. The AMA-WPS will not accept for discussion any resolution that is identical to one submitted to the AMA-HOD. Rather, that item will be discussed in the AMA-HOD Handbook Review Session to determine official AMA-WPS action. Once a resolution is submitted to the AMA-HOD, or the Governing Council undertakes the desired action and reports back to the AMA-WPS membership, the adopted resolution will be sunset.
To ensure your resolution has the best chance for adoption, the AMA-WPS suggests that the following be taken into consideration:
- Make certain that the proposed action benefits physicians and/or their patients, or women physician members in particular.
- Review the AMA PolicyFinder to determine whether current policy already exists.
- Make sure that the resolution’s title appropriately reflects the action for which the resolution calls.
- Be certain that the whereas statements of the resolution clearly state the need for the action you are seeking in the RESOLVED statement.
- The RESOLVED portion of the resolution must be a definitive statement that is able to stand alone.
- If appropriate, indicate in the RESOLVED portion at which AMA-HOD meeting you’d like the resolution to be considered. Unless the resolution is of some urgency, it should wait until the following meeting so that it can be included in the delegates’ handbook and they can properly prepare to discuss it.
- Include a fiscal note. AMA-WPS staff can assist with the development of fiscal information.
Check back in August for additional details.