Senior Physicians Section
Learn more about the benefits of belonging to the AMA Senior Physicians Section. Join the nearly 55,000 senior physician group members and remain active and involved in the AMA medical community.
- Vote Now! The AMA Senior Physicians Section (SPS) invites all AMA members 65 years of age and older to vote in its runoff election. The online election is open from April 29 – May 5 for the Governing Council positions with terms commencing June 2016.
- We are pleased to announce that the Senior Physicians Section (SPS) online member forum is open through April 29, and we want to hear from you! Please use it at your convenience to share your opinions and make your voice heard on AMA-SPS concerns.
- We invite you to participate in a State of the Section teleconference via conference call on Thursday, May 5, at 8 p.m. Eastern time. The teleconference will feature updates from the SPS Governing Council Chair and provide an opportunity to hear from SPS members during the open discussion period. Please RSVP by May 2 to receive the information you'll need to call into the virtual AMA-SPS Meeting.
- Register now to attend the SPS educational program and assembly planned for June 11 in Chicago. This year’s educational keynote speaker is Richard Gunderman, MD, PhD, who will speak on the topic of physician burnout and explore how senior physicians who are confronted by such challenges can thrive and continue to make a difference.
- View Interim Meeting highlights from the SPS meeting in Atlanta. Dr. Daniel P. Hunt, professor of medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, provided the keynote address at last year's Interim Assembly Meeting.
- Travel Opportunities are now available for 2016 through AHI Travel, a travel provider selected by the AMA for its members. View the 2016 travel program lineup.
- Visit the Physician Financial Resource Center to view customized solutions for your personal and professional needs.
- Glen O. Gabbard, MD, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, presented a program on The Aging Physician: Possibilities and Perils during the AMA’s Annual Meeting. Find a copy of the slides under the 2015 Annual Meeting tab to learn more about this program.
About the AMA-SPS
Any AMA physician 65 years of age or older is an automatic member of the Senior Physicians Section (SPS). The AMA-SPS is the largest senior physician group in the United States.
Staying active and involved
- Interested in returning back to practice? The AMA has developed re-entry resources that can help get you started. In addition, the AMA-SPS Governing Council would be interested in your feedback. Are you interested in full-time practice? Part-time? Free Clinics? Teaching? Let us know what resources would benefit you most at this stage of your career.
- Learn the facts about health system reform, and review the latest developments on the AMA's Advocacy Efforts
- Volunteer Opportunities for seniors
- A copy of the State Licensing & Liability Laws, updated in October 2015, is available upon request. Please sent an e-mail to email@example.com if you are interested in receiving a copy.
Call to action
Dr. Sean Palfrey received the Jack B. McConnell, MD Award for Excellence in Volunteerism in June 2015. This award honors a senior (older than 55 years) physician’s commitment to volunteer medical care.
Contact us at:
AMA Department of Senior Physicians Section
330 N Wabash
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone (312) 464-5523