Senior Physicians Section
Learn more about the benefits of belonging to the AMA Senior Physicians Section. Join the nearly 56,000 senior physician group members and remain active and involved in the AMA medical community.
- NEW! Get Involved in the Senior Physicians Section: Participate in the Online Member Forum scheduled from April 7–18, and the Virtual SPS Assembly conference call on April 24.
- The SPS will hold its next Assembly Meeting and Educational Program on June 7, in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates, in Chicago. Registration is open until May 30, 2014.
- The 2014 AMA-SPS Governing Council Elections are now open. An electronic ballot was sent out to all AMA-SPS members with viable e-mails on April 2nd.
- The AMA offers many leadership opportunities for members to advance their skills within organized medicine.
- View the program description and register for access on the Learning Management System for the June 2013 Joint Educational Program in Chicago entitled "The Aging Physician: Opportunities and Challenges."
- Travel Opportunities are now available for 2014 through AHI Travel, a travel provider selected by the AMA for its members.
- Subscribe to AMA Morning Rounds Weekend Edition to receive a members-only compilation of top AMA, clinical and socioeconomic news from the week, and news for the AMA Senior Physicians Section. Be sure to indicate that you would like to receive news for the AMA Senior Physicians Section.
- The AMA Insurance Agency can offer customized solutions for your personal and professional needs. View new products and get a rate quote.
About the AMA-SPS
Any AMA physician 65 years of age or older is an automatic member of the Senior Physicians Section (SPS). The AMA-SPS is the largest senior physician group in the United States.
Staying active and involved
- Interested in returning back to practice? The AMA has developed re-entry resources that can help get you started. In addition, the AMA-SPS Governing Council would be interested in your feedback. Are you interested in full-time practice? Part-time? Free Clinics? Teaching? Let us know what resources would benefit you most at this stage of your career.
- Medical State Licensure Information for senior physicians
- Learn the facts about health system reform, and review the latest developments on the AMA's Advocacy Efforts
- Volunteer Opportunities for seniors
- State Licensing & Liability Laws (Updated October 2012)
Call to action
Matthew Mandel, MD, the Jack B. McConnell, MD Award winner, was recently honored at the Excellence in Medicine Award Program in February 2013. He is pictured alongside James Madara, MD; AMA EVP; Jeremy Lazarus, MD, AMA President; Owen Garrick, MD, Immediate Past-President, AMA Foundation; Matthew Mandel, MD, Honoree; Clarence Chou, MD, President, AMA Foundation and Jack Watters, MD, Vice President of External Medical Affairs, Pfizer Inc.
Contact us at:
AMA Department of Senior Physicians Section
330 N Wabash
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone (312) 464-5523