Senior Physicians Section
Learn more about the benefits of belonging to the AMA Senior Physicians Section. Join the nearly 55,000 senior physician group members and remain active and involved in the AMA medical community.
With the 2016 Interim Meeting taking place Nov. 12-15 in Orlando, the AMA Senior Physicians Section Governing Council encourages member participation. The Section leadership welcomes proposals to identify the needs of senior physicians (i.e., doctors age 65 and above, both active and retired). Information is available on the timeline webpage, including a resolution template and resolution idea template.
- Online Member Forum, Sept. 12–23. The AMA-SPS Online Member Forum will be open for 2 weeks. Please use it to share your opinion and make your voice heard on AMA-SPS concerns.
- Virtual SPS Assembly 8 p.m. EDT, Thursday, Sept. 29. Members are invited to participate in the Virtual SPS Assembly conference call. Feedback from the member forum will be discussed during the call. The teleconference will also feature updates from the SPS Governing Council chair and provide an opportunity to hear from SPS members during the open discussion period. Please RSVP by Sept. 26 to receive details needed to call into the virtual AMA-SPS meeting.
- Receive senior physician news: AMA members can sign up for AMA Morning Rounds weekend edition, delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning.
- Travel Opportunities are now available for 2017 through AHI Travel, a travel provider selected by the AMA for its members. View the 2017 travel program lineup.
- Visit the Physician Financial Resource Center to view customized solutions for personal and professional needs.
About the AMA-SPS
Any AMA physician 65 years of age or older is an automatic member of the Senior Physicians Section (SPS). The AMA-SPS is the largest senior physician group in the United States.
Staying active and involved
- Learn the facts about MACRA (Medicare Assess and CHIP Reauthorization Act), and review the latest developments on the AMA's Advocacy Efforts.
- Interested in returning back to practice? The AMA has developed re-entry resources that can help get you started. In addition, the AMA-SPS Governing Council would be interested in your feedback. Are you interested in full-time practice? Part-time? Free Clinics? Teaching? Let us know what resources would benefit you most at this stage of your career.
- Learn the facts about health system reform, and review the latest developments on the AMA's Advocacy Efforts
- Volunteer Opportunities for seniors
- A copy of the State Licensing & Liability Laws, updated in October 2015, is available upon request. Please sent an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in receiving a copy.
Call to action
Dr. Charles Clements (left) and Dr. Rafael Zaragonza (right)
Dr. Charles Clements and Dr. Rafael Zaragonza are the recipients of the Jack B. McConnell, MD Award for Excellence in Volunteerism in 2016. This award honors a senior (older than 55 years) physician's commitment to volunteer medical care.
Contact us at:
AMA Department of Senior Physicians Section
330 N Wabash
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone (312) 464-5523