Do you have an idea for a resolution or have an issue that should be discussed? Consider drafting a resolution for the Women Physicians Section (WPS) Interim Meeting. Resolutions are due by Aug. 30.
Submitting a Resolution
Each resolution submitted to the WPS Assembly will result in either an action by the governing council or a resolution to the AMA House of Delegates (HOD).
Submit a resolution that offers a clear directive to the governing council, that seeks to create new AMA policy, or that seeks to amend existing AMA policy.
Once a resolution is submitted to the HOD, or the governing council undertakes the desired action and reports back to the WPS membership, the adopted resolution will sunset.
Resolutions will not be accepted if:
- Additional resources are needed—unless the resolution asks the WPS to request the AMA to implement a similar project.
- An identical resolution already exists—duplicate resolutions will be discussed in the AMA House of Delegates Handbook Review Session to determine official WPS action.
To ensure your resolution has the best chance for adoption, follow these guidelines:
- Make certain that the proposed action benefits physicians and/or their patients, or women physician members in particular.
- Review the AMA PolicyFinder to determine whether current policy already exists.
- Make sure that the resolution’s title appropriately reflects the action for which the resolution calls.
- The resolved portion of the resolution must be a definitive statement that is able to stand alone.
- Include a fiscal note. WPS staff can assist with the development of fiscal information.
Resolutions must be submitted to the WPS by March 30 for the Annual Meeting and Aug. 30 for the Interim Meeting.