Get involved with the Academic Physicians Section (APS) and be recognized as a leader working to address key medical education and practice issues affecting academic physicians, medical students and trainees.
Governing Council Opportunities
The AMA-APS is looking to fill 4 positions on its governing council in 2017:
- Member At-Large (3 open positions)
The nominee, nominating person or organization must submit a nomination form by March 6, 2017.
To apply, please email [email protected] or call (312) 464-4635.
How to Become a Member
AMA-member physicians can join the Academic Physicians Section through 3 avenues:
- Dean-appointed.* An AMA-member physician can be appointed by the dean of any U.S. medical school to represent undergraduate, graduate or continuing medical education at the institution.
- Self-nominated (faculty appointment).* An AMA-member physician who holds a faculty appointment of any type at a U.S. medical school.
- Self-nominated (no faculty appointment). An AMA-member physician who does not hold a medical school faculty appointment but has an active role in undergraduate, graduate or continuing medical education, or serves in a clinical/research capacity within an academic medical center, community hospital or other health care setting.
*Note: Medical schools must have educational programs provided by a college of medicine or osteopathic medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association leading to the MD or DO degree.
To learn more and submit your application to join the AMA Academic Physicians Section, contact Fred Lenhoff at [email protected] or (312) 464-4635.
More About the Academic Physicians Section
- Consult our member guide to the APS.
- Read the latest medical education news and sign up for the APS newsletter to stay informed about news in medical education that affects academic physicians.
- Meet the current Academic Physicians Section Governing Council members.
- Learn more about how you can advocate for academic physicians through the AMA.
- Find and apply for leadership opportunities for academic physicians at leading national medical education bodies.
- How does the Academic Physicians Section influence AMA Policy (PDF)?