Events not to miss at the 2016 AMA Annual Meeting
From appearances by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Acting Administrator Andy Slavitt and physician blog founder Kevin Pho, MD, to an exciting physician entrepreneurship challenge, the 2016 AMA Annual Meeting features a number of events not to miss.
Social media insights from the doctor behind KevinMD.com
Kevin Pho, MD, founder and editor of the popular physician blog bearing his name, will share practical insights about how to make a difference in health care through social media. Dr. Pho's address will take place from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. June 11 in the Regency Ballroom.
Clinical skills and specialty choice: Students get practical assistance
Medical students can get a leg up on developing their clinical skills and selecting the specialty they wish to pursue at the AMA Medical Specialty Showcase and Clinical Skills Workshop, which will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. June 11 in the Riverside Exhibit Hall. Students will have a special opportunity to speak directly with physicians about their preferred specialties and get hands-on practice with such clinical skills as ultrasound, airway management and suturing.
Innovation challenge finalists pitch ideas for improving the nation's health
Join your colleagues for an evening of innovation when the inaugural AMA Healthier Nation Innovation Challenge culminates at a live event from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. June 11 at Chicago health tech incubator MATTER (222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza #1230).
The evening will open with cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and networking, followed by a program at 6 p.m., during which the top five challenge finalists (teams comprised of physicians, residents and medical students) will pitch their ideas for improving the health of the nation to a panel of judges. Three winning teams will take home a total of $50,000 in prizes.
AMA members attend for free. Learn more about the AMA Healthier Nation Innovation Challenge, and register for the event now.
CMS acting administrator to discuss Medicare payment system changes
Proposed regulations released in late April outline implementation of the landmark Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA), which will make sweeping changes in care delivery and payment. CMS Acting Administrator Slavitt will discuss implementation in an address to the AMA House of Delegates at 2 p.m. June 13 in the Grand Ballroom.
Slavitt forged a partnership with physicians on ICD-10 implementation and has committed to work through challenging implementation issues of the new law alongside physicians, which he underscored at a congressional hearing in May. He has publicly expressed a desire to win back the physician community after years of regulatory excess.
Other activities you'll want to participate in:
- Attend a variety of continuing medical education (CME) events June 10-13. Topics range from addressing physician burnout to ending the nation's opioid epidemic, and from improving electronic health records to preparing for alternative payment models.
- Check out the AMA exhibits outside the Grand Ballroom. Come learn about exciting new digital products the AMA is launching this year to better support you in your life and career; take advantage of membership perks for personal and professional products and services; explore opportunities to partner with the AMA to promote excellence in medicine and public policy; enter to win giveaways; and pick up a free copy of JAMA.
- Participate in a special blood drive that will help boost the blood supply in light of the new donor deferrals required as a result of the Zika virus. Organized by the Pathology Section Council, the blood drive will take place in the Riverside exhibit hall down one level from the Grand Ballroom from noon to 6 p.m. June 10. The council will be giving away a great prize to one lucky donor. Appointments are recommended: Call Lifesource, the local blood center conducting the drive, at (877) 543-3768 or visit Lifesource's website and use group code "923A."
- Savor international sweets at the popular Desserts from Around the World reception. This event, hosted annually by the AMA International Medical Graduates Section, will take place from 9:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. June 11 in the Crystal Ballroom.
- Elections for AMA officer and council positions will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. June 14 in Columbus K-L. Learn more about the process and the candidates.
- The inaugural ceremony for President-Elect Andrew W. Gurman, MD, will begin at 5 p.m. June 14 in the Crystal Ballroom. A reception will follow the ceremony, starting around 6:30 p.m. outside the Grand Ballroom, and a dinner-dance will follow at 7 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom. Tickets are required for the dinner-dance and can be purchased online or by contacting the AMA's Department of Meeting Services at (312) 464-4582.
See the Speakers' Letter and consult the AMA sections and special groups Web pages for additional details about activities taking place at the 2016 AMA Annual Meeting.