This Month's News
Learn about interprofessional education at upcoming AMA meeting
Register now for the next meeting of the AMA Section on Medical Schools (SMS), held in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates, June 6-7 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Chicago. (Meeting registration is free of charge.)
The education segment of the SMS meeting will focus on interprofessional education (IPE) and how medical schools can meet the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) requirement in this regard. Plenary speakers are:
- Lesley Bainbridge, MEd, PhD, director of interprofessional education at the University of British Columbia
- Bruce Hamory, MD, executive vice president and system chief medical officer (emeritus) at Geisinger Health System
- Representatives from three of the medical schools that are part of the AMA Accelerating Change in Medical Education consortium
After attending the session, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the impact of interprofessional education (IPE) on patient care and quality
- Summarize the growth of IPE in medical schools and identify the potential barriers to maximizing its implementation in medical schools
- Explore the perspectives of medical students, residents, and fellows about IPE's impact on their ability to provide quality patient care
- List strategies to meet LCME accreditation requirements for interprofessional education.
- Identify interprofessional education strategies incorporated in projects of schools that are part of the AMA's Accelerating Change in Medical Education initiative
- Collaborate with other participants to develop action steps for implementation of IPE that can work in medical schools
The American Medical Association (AMA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
View a draft schedule (PDF) for the meeting.