New med schools update: Virginia school applies
The Liaison Committee on Medical Education has listed the College of Hericopolis School of Medicine in Martinsville, Va., as an applicant school for LCME accreditation. Other currently listed applicant schools are California Northstate University College of Medicine (Rancho Cordova, Calif.) and King School of Medicine and Health Science Center (Abingdon, Va.).
Palm Beach Medical College (Palm Beach, Fla.) is no longer listed as an applicant school.
See the LCME website for a list of all accredited and pre-accredited programs in the United States and Canada.
What happened at the June AMA-SMS meeting?
A summary of the June 14-16 meeting of the AMA Section on Medical Schools (SMS) now is available. For example, the meeting featured:
- AMA-SMS approval of a proposed resolution linking graduate medical education funding to quality outcomes, which was forwarded to the AMA House of Delegates and adopted as new AMA policy.
- An educational program on planned medical school innovations, featuring representatives of five of the 11 awardees of the AMA's $11 million Accelerating Change in Medical Education initiative.
- An educational program on international experiences for medical students presented by James Conway, MD, a noted expert on the topic.
Reminder: The next SMS meeting is scheduled to take place from 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Nov. 1 in Philadelphia, in conjunction with the annual meeting of the Association of American Medical Colleges. Be sure to check the AMA-SMS website for more details as they become available.
AMA resources for medical schools and students
- Mentor students, residents and fellows via AMA program.
- Learn about the AMA Medical Student Section.
- Learn about the AMA Section on Medical Schools.
- Learn about the AMA Council on Medical Education.
- Follow the AMA professional ethics Twitter page, and look for the #MedEdAMA hashtag for tweets on the AMA's Twitter page about medical education.
- Read the latest issue of American Medical News.