Wednesday, April 24, 2013
This Week's News
This Week's News
AMA CEO, members among 50 most influential physician executives
AMA Executive Vice President and CEO James L. Madara, MD (left), along with nearly two dozen AMA members, has been recognized by Modern Healthcare and Modern Physician magazines as one of the nation's 50 most influential physician executives in health care for 2013.
Dr. Madara is joined by 21 other AMA members on this year's list, which the two publications released April 22. The other AMA members on the list (in alphabetical order by last name) are:
- Kelvin Baggett, MD, senior vice president and chief medical officer, Tenet Healthcare Corp., Dallas
- Georges Benjamin, MD, executive director, American Public Health Association, Washington
- Regina Benjamin, MD, U.S. surgeon general, U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, Washington
- Mark Chassin, MD, president, Joint Commission, Oak Brook Terrace, Ill.
- Francis Collins, MD, director, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
- William Conway, MD, CEO, Henry Ford Medical Group; chief quality officer, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit
- Delos "Toby" Cosgrove, MD, president and CEO, Cleveland Clinic
- Harvey Fineberg, MD, president, Institute of Medicine, Washington
- Atul Gawande, MD, professor of surgery and professor of health care policy and management, Harvard University; health care author
- Gary Kaplan, MD, chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle
- Darrell Kirch, MD, president and CEO, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington
- Thomas Nasca, MD, president, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, Chicago
- John Noseworthy, MD, president and CEO, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Barbara Paul, MD, senior vice president and chief medical officer, Community Health Systems, Franklin, Tenn.
- Peter Pronovost, MD, senior vice president for patient safety and quality, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore
- Glenn Steele, Jr., MD, president and CEO, Geisinger Health System, Danville, Pa.
- Eric Topol, MD, chief academic officer, Scripps Health; director, Scripps Translational Science Institute, San Diego
- Reed Tuckson, MD, executive vice president and chief of medical affairs, UnitedHealth Group, Minnetonka, Minn.
- Susan Turney, MD, president and CEO, MGMA-ACMPE, Englewood, Colo.
- Robert Wachter, MD, professor and associate chairman, department of medicine, University of California at San Francisco
- Larry Wellikson, MD, CEO, Society of Hospital Medicine, Philadelphia
The honorees are nominated by readers and voted on by both readers and senior editors at the publications.
The list illustrates the tremendous leadership role physicians around the country play in shaping the course of health care in the United States.
"We're on a remarkable journey," Dr. Baggett said in an article that accompanies the list. "I'm incredibly excited about where health care can go."
Log in to the Modern Healthcare and Modern Physician website to view the full list. A paid subscription is required.