Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012
News for International Medical Graduates
Nominations due soon for IMG Awareness Day Award
The AMA International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section Governing Council is soliciting nominations for its inaugural IMG Awareness Day Award. Nominations are due Sept. 30.
IMG Awareness Day, which will be observed every Dec. 6, has been designated to highlight and spread awareness about the many contributions IMGs make to American medicine. IMGs will be asked to commemorate this day in their local communities.
The IMG Awareness Day Award is intended to honor a person who has demonstrated a commitment to elevating the status of IMGs, furthering the goals of the AMA-IMG Section and advocating on behalf of IMGs. A nominee does not need to be an IMG, but he or she must be an AMA member.
Visit the IMG Awareness Day Web page to download a nomination form and learn more. Nomination forms should be submitted via email to the AMA-IMG Section along with a curriculum vitae and organizational endorsement letter.
AMA Research Symposium to be among highlights of AMA-IMG Section meeting
Mark your calendar for the 15th Interim Meeting of the International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section, set for Nov. 9–12 in Honolulu in conjunction with the Interim Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates. The meeting will feature the following events:
- AMA Research Symposium and reception: 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 9. This is the first year the symposium is open to include all IMGs who are certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates and have not matched to a residency.
- AMA-IMG Section Reception and Congress: 7:30 to 9 p.m. Nov. 9. Cosponsored by the Hawaii Medical Society, the reception and congress offers the opportunity to discuss important AMA-IMG Section and AMA House of Delegates business items.
- AMA-IMG Caucus: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 10. Attend a panel presentation on regulatory issues affecting IMGs.
- AMA-IMG Section and AMA Minority Affairs Section delegates reference committee briefing: 8 to 8:30 a.m. Nov. 11.
- AMA House of Delegates reference committee hearings: 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 11.
- Busharat Ahmad, MD, Leadership Development Program: 2 to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 11.
- AMA-IMG Section and AMA Minority Affairs Section delegates reference committee reports caucus: 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Nov. 12.
To register and learn more information, visit the AMA-IMG Section Web page.