Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012
This Week's News
Physician committee brings wealth of experience to delivery and payment innovation
You might be surprised by who is at the forefront of health care innovation. Physicians from a wide variety of specialties, locations and practice settings are taking the lead on bringing change to health care delivery and payment for the benefit of physicians and patients alike.
The committee includes members from such health care centers as the Mayo Clinic and Henry Ford Health System as well as physicians in solo practice, single-specialty practices and multi-specialty groups. One committee member is the medical director of a managed care organization.
The Innovators Committee is charged with providing practical guidance and resources to enable physicians from various specialties to become leaders in making health care delivery more effective and efficient.
Using specific examples from innovations in their own practices, the committee created a white paper that explains how physicians can adopt innovative strategies for delivering care. Characteristics of these strategies include:
- A focus on team-based and preventive care that enables every practitioner to provide high-quality care.
- Incentives to ensure better communication among clinicians across settings.
- Attention on high-impact areas that offer the greatest potential for significant gains in quality and efficiency.
- Selection of appropriate benchmarks and performance goals, as well as sound methods for analyzing data that will allow physicians to meet these goals.
- Identification of barriers that should be removed so any physician can adopt delivery innovations.
Forthcoming guidance from the committee includes a white paper on innovations in payment, case studies of proven innovations and educational webcasts.
As part of its new strategic direction, the AMA is committed to helping physicians navigate the transformation in delivery and payment by identifying and promoting models that demonstrate high quality care and value while preserving professional satisfaction and practice sustainability. Learn more.