Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012
News for International Medical Graduates
Nominate recipient for first IMG Awareness Day Award
The deadline to submit nominations for the first IMG Awareness Day Award has been extended to Sept. 30.
IMG Awareness Day will be observed every Dec. 6 to highlight and spread awareness about the many contributions international medical graduates make to American medicine. IMGs are asked to commemorate this day in their local communities.
If you have a colleague who has demonstrated a commitment to elevating the status of IMGs, furthered the goals of the AMA-IMG Section or have advocated on behalf of IMGs, celebrate his or her accomplishments by submitting a nomination form via email. A nominee does not need to be an IMG, but he or she must be an AMA member.
Visit the IMG Awareness Day Web page for more information.
Research symposium among highlights of AMA-IMG Section meeting
Mark your calendar for the 15th Interim Meeting of the International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section, set for Nov. 9-12 in Honolulu in conjunction with the Interim Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates.
The meeting will feature the following events:
- AMA Research Symposium and reception: 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 9. This is the first year the symposium is open to include all IMGs who are certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates and have not matched to a residency.
- AMA-IMG Section Reception and Congress: 7:30 to 9 p.m. Nov. 9. Cosponsored by the Hawaii Medical Society, the reception and congress is your opportunity to discuss important AMA-IMG Section and AMA House of Delegates business items.
- AMA-IMG Caucus: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 10. Attend a panel presentation on regulatory issues affecting IMGs.
- AMA-IMG Section and AMA Minority Affairs Section delegates reference committee briefing: 8 to 8:30 a.m. Nov. 11.
- AMA House of Delegates reference committee hearings: 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 11.
- Busharat Ahmad, MD, Leadership Development Program: 2 to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 11.
- AMA-IMG Section and AMA Minority Affairs Section delegates reference committee reports caucus: 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Nov. 12.
To register and for more information, visit the AMA-IMG Section Web page.