Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012
For Medical Students
Medical student debt on the decline, new study finds
A new analysis of medical student debt finds an "unprecedented" slowdown in the growth of debt levels from 2008 to 2011, which may be an effect of lower interest rates. Mean education debt amounts were almost flat over the three-year period, at about $161,300, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Still, the study notes that the cost to attend a U.S. medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education has grown at a rate roughly double that of inflation. These high costs could have a detrimental effect on efforts to increase the number of physicians from under-represented minority populations.
The AMA continues to advocate on this issue and encourage innovations to reduce debt levels. The AMA Medical Student Section (MSS), in particular, has worked to address student debt through advocacy efforts, in cooperation with the AMA. Learn more about student debt and how the AMA-MSS is addressing the issue.
Wanted: Ideas for the next AMA-MSS meeting
Do you have an idea for a program that could be held during this year's AMA Medical Student Section (MSS) Interim Assembly Meeting? Submit one today via the AMA-MSS's online form. Ideas are due Aug. 17. The AMA-MSS meeting will take place Nov. 8–10 in Honolulu in conjunction with the Interim Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates.
Encourage your friends and classmates to join the AMA
AMA membership is important throughout all years of medical school—and it's never too late to join. Here's a snapshot of the benefits available to AMA members throughout medical school.
- Free Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards with four-year membership
- Subscription to the Journal of the American Medical Association
Second yearAMA member-only discounts on the First Aid for the USMLE and First Aid for the COMLEX series and the Rapid Review series
- 30 percent savings on Kaplan Qbank products
- AMA members-only access to FREIDA Online®, your go-to place to research residency programs
- Print and online versions of Choosing a Medical Specialty Resource Guide
- Access to "Succeeding from Medical School to Practice" online guide
- Hertz car rental savings for traveling to interviews