The health care system is undergoing unprecedented change to meet the needs of more complex patient conditions and treatments, the rapid introduction of new technologies and the emphasis on collaboration and systems of care. This means significant change in the delivery of patient care and how physicians are paid by both commercial and government payers.
The AMA is committed to informing and supporting physicians and their practices during these complex changes. Change will not and should not occur overnight. It will be a long-term transition. From research to education, and advocacy to practice management tools, the AMA will provide the key resources physicians need to succeed in the coming years.
News & Milestones
- Proposed rule on MACRA issued April 27, 2016, final regulations to be issued in the fall.
- The first performance measurement year for Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) could be as early as 2017.
- Payment changes under MACRA will take full effect in 2019.
Read the latest stories on Medicare from AMA Wire®.
Medicare Physician Payment Reform (MACRA)
The AMA's successful effort to repeal Medicare's sustainable growth rate formula also created new opportunities for physicians to develop and participate in alternative payment models or APMs. The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) provides a 5% annual lump sum payment to physicians who are participating in qualified APMs, and it exempts them from the new Merit-Based Incentive Payment System or MIPS.
How to Achieve Your Goals Within MACRA
The AMA is committed to providing physicians and their practices with tools and resources to evaluate which new payment models are best for their specialty, geography and patient mix.
AMA’s Efforts to Improve Medicare Payment Reform
The AMA proactively advocates for flexibility in MACRA implementation and continues work to encourage the development and implementation of better health care payment systems.
Additional Medicare Resources
- The Medicare Physician Payment Schedule
- The Physicians’ Guide
- The Resource-Based Relative Value Scale
- Medicare Preventive Services
- Recovery Audit Contractors
- Medicare Participation Kit
- Recommendations Related to Care Coordination
- RUC Medicare Medical Home Demonstration Project Recommendations
- Medicare/Medicaid EHR Incentive and Penalty Programs