EPoCH CME: Screening and Managing Eating Disorders in Primary Practice
Release date - April 9, 2012
Expiration date - April 9, 2014
This online module is available for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. It provides a basic diagnostic overview of the range of eating disorders, reviews the screening and referral process and briefly describes the role of the primary care physician. This activity is a part of AMA's Educating Physicians on Controversies and Challenges in Health (EPoCH) program.
Ovidio Bermudez, MD, FAAP, FSHM, FAED, CEDS
Medical Director of Child & Adolescent Services
Eating Recovery Center, Denver, Colorado
Jennifer L. Gaudiani, MD
Assistant Medical Director, ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders
Hospitalist, Denver Health
Assistant Professor of Medicine
University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado
Upon completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Describe the basic diagnostic criteria for bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa (both restricting and purging subtypes), and binge eating disorder
- Recognize the high morbidity and mortality associated with eating disorders
- Identify the primary care physician’s role in prevention and treatment
- Identify resources and tools to screen patients for eating disorders, and for appropriate referral
- Acknowledge the role of hope of recovery for the patient
- Inform patients and their families, with confidence, that there are effective treatments for the disorder
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Medical Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of .5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The content of this activity does not relate to any product of a commercial interest as defined by the ACCME; therefore, there are no relevant financial relationships to disclose for either the faculty or the planners.
In order to receive AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or a certificate of participation, participants must complete the post-test/evaluation prior to completing the credit claim form. (Participants must score an 80 percent on the post-test to receive their certificate via e-mail).
This activity includes slides with corresponding audio and video.
Questions about this activity can be directed to Janet Williams.
|Microsoft Windows: XP, Vista (32 and 64 bit), 7(32 and 64 bit)||Flash 9.0.28+ or Java 1.31+ required|
|Apple Macintosh: OSX 10.4+ (Intel-based processors)||Flash 9.0.28+ or Java 1.31+ required|
|Linux - 2.6+ kernel: 32 and 64 bit; x86 CPU required||Flash 9.0.28+ or Java 1.31+ required|
**May not work with all versions of Internet Explorer