The AMA Stark Law Rules of the Road
Step 1. Are you a physician currently seeing Medicare patients?
Step 2. Do you refer Medicare patients?
Step 3. Do you refer Medicare patients for any of the following
“Designated Health Services” (DHS)?
- Clinical laboratory services
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy and outpatient speech-language pathology services;
- Radiology and certain other imaging services
- Radiation therapy services and supplies
- Durable medical equipment and supplies
- Parenteral and enteral nutrients, equipment and supplies
- Prosthetics, orthotics, and prosthetic devices and supplies
- Home health services
- Outpatient prescription drugs
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital services
Step 4. Do you refer to an "entity" that performs DHS or bills Medicare for the provision of DHS?
Step 5. Do you, or an immediate family member, have an ownership or investment interest in an entity that performs DHS or bills Medicare for DHS?
Step 6. "Do you, or an immediate family member, have a compensation arrangements with an entity that performs DHS or bills Medicare for DHS?"