AMA Honors Government Service, Dedication to Health Care
2011 Dr. Nathan Davis Awards recognize seven for outstanding government service
For immediate release:
Feb. 10, 2011
WASHINGTON – The American Medical Association (AMA) today announced the seven recipients of the 2011 Dr. Nathan Davis Award for Outstanding Government Service – the highest award for elected officials and government employees from the nation's largest physician organization.
"Through the Nathan Davis Awards, the AMA salutes government officials who go above and beyond the call of duty to improve public health," said Dr. Hoven. "Award winners come from every branch of government service and are a testament to the important role public officials play in creating and implementing health policy that benefits Americans."
The awards, named for the founding father of the AMA, recognize elected and career officials in federal, state or municipal service whose outstanding contributions have promoted the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
The 2011 winners are as follows:
United States Representative
- U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut
Member of the Armed Forces
- Vice Admiral Adam M. Robinson, Jr., MD, Medical Corps Surgeon General of the U.S. Navy and Chief, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
Member of a State Legislature
- Dan K. Morhaim, MD, Maryland State Delegate
Member of Executive Branch Serving by Presidential Appointment
- R. Gil Kerlikowske, Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy
Member of Executive Branch in Career Public Service
- William Gahl, MD, PhD, Director of the National Institute of Health's Undiagnosed Diseases Program and Clinical Director of the National Human Genome Research Institute
Career Public Servant at the State Level
- Donald E. Williamson, MD, State Health Officer for the Alabama Department of Public Health
Career Public Servant at the Local Level
- Donald F. Schwarz, MD, MPH, Deputy Mayor for Health and Opportunity, City of Philadelphia and Health Commissioner, City of Philadelphia
The awards were presented in conjunction with the AMA National Advocacy Conference at the Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel in Washington, D.C. This year marks the 22nd anniversary of the Dr. Nathan Davis Awards.
For additional information, please contact:
Heather Lasher Todd
AMA Media Relations