AMA Announces Election Results for Board of Trustees
For immediate release
June 18, 2009
CHICAGO – The American Medical Association (AMA) today introduced the 21 members of its Board of Trustees for the coming year following elections held during the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates in Chicago.
“I am pleased to see a mix of both fresh and familiar faces on the Board of Trustees,” said Rebecca J. Patchin, MD, an anthesthesiogist and pain management specialist from Loma Linda, Calif., whose one-year term as AMA board chair began today. “We will use innovative ideas as well as proven methods to continue to serve America’s physicians and patients this year as we work to reform the health system for patients and physicians.”
J. James Rohack, MD, a cardiologist from Bryan, Texas, is the Association’s 164th president, while Cecil B. Wilson, MD, an internal medicine physician from Winter Park, Fla., assumes the position of president-elect.
Those newly elected to the 2009-2010 Board of Trustees follow:
- Raj Ambay, MD, DDS, resident/fellow member
- David O. Barbe, MD, member
- Justin B. Mahida, medical student member
Those re-elected to the 2009-2010 Board of Trustees follow:
- Andrew W. Gurman, MD, vice speaker
- Ardis D. Hoven, MD, chair-elect
- Jeremy A. Lazarus, MD, speaker
- Robert M. Wah, MD, member
Those continuing to serve on the 2009-2010 Board of Trustees follow:
- Joseph P. Annis, MD, secretary
- Peter W. Carmel, MD, member
- William A. Dolan, MD, member
- William A. Hazel, Jr., MD, member
- Cyril M. Hetsko, MD, member
- Joseph M. Heyman, MD, member
- Christopher K. Kay, public member
- Edward L. Langston, MD, member
- Mary Anne McCaffree, MD, member
- Nancy H. Nielsen, MD, PhD, immediate past president
- Rebecca J. Patchin, MD, chair
- J. James Rohack, MD, president
- Steven J. Stack, MD, member
- Cecil B. Wilson, MD, president-elect
The election of board members is by secret ballot and under the supervision of the Committee on Rules and Credentials and the chief teller, appointed by the speaker and vice speaker. The mission of the AMA Board of Trustees is to ensure the AMA remains focused on promoting the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
# # #
For more information, please contact AMA Media Relations at (312) 464-4430.