AMA Announces Board of Trustees for 2010-2011
For immediate release:
June 16, 2010
CHICAGO – The American Medical Association (AMA) today introduced the 21 members of its Board of Trustees for the coming year following elections held during the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates in Chicago.
Cecil B. Wilson, MD, an internist from Winter Park, Fla. was sworn in as the AMA’s 165th president, while Peter W. Carmel, MD, a pediatric neurosurgeon from New York, N.Y., was named to the office of president-elect.
In addition to Drs. Carmel and Wilson, the AMA Board of Trustees officers for 2010-2011 are:
- Andrew W. Gurman, MD, an orthopedic surgeon from Hollidaysburg, Pa. was re-elected as vice speaker.
- Ardis D. Hoven, MD, an infectious disease physician from Lexington, Ky. assumes the office of chair.
- Jeremy A. Lazarus, MD, a psychiatrist from Greenwood Village, Colo. was re-elected as speaker.
- Rebecca J. Patchin, MD, an anesthesiologist and pain management physician from Riverside, Calif. assumes the office of immediate past chair.
- J. James Rohack, MD, a cardiologist from Bryan, Texas assumes the office of immediate past president.
- Steven J. Stack, MD, an emergency medicine physician from Lexington, Ky. was named as secretary.
- Robert M. Wah, MD, an obstetrician/gynecologist from McLean, Va. was named as chair-elect.
The newly elected members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Barbara L. McAneny, MD, an oncologist in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Stephen R. Permut, MD, JD, a family medicine physician in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Carl A. Sirio, MD, a critical care physician and internist in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Meredith C. Williams, a medical student at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas
Returning members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Raj Ambay, MD, DDS, a microsurgeon from Houston, Texas
- Joseph P. Annis, MD, an anesthesiologist from Austin, Texas
- David O. Barbe, MD, a family medicine physician from Mountain Grove, Mo.
- William A. Dolan, MD, an orthopedic surgeon from Rochester, N.Y.
- Cyril M. Hetsko, MD, an internist from Madison, Wis.
- Christopher K. Kay, a lawyer from Purchase, N.Y.
- Edward L. Langston, MD, a family medicine physician from Lafayette, Ind.
- Mary Anne McCaffree, MD, a pediatrician from Oklahoma City, Okla.
The election of board members is by secret ballot and under the supervision of the Committee on Rules and Credentials and the chief teller, appointed by the speaker and vice speaker. The mission of the AMA Board of Trustees is to ensure the AMA remains focused on promoting the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
# # #
For more information, please contact:
AMA Media Relations