AMA Announces Board of Trustees for 2011-2012
For immediate release:
June 22, 2011
CHICAGO – The American Medical Association (AMA) today introduced the 21 members of its Board of Trustees for the coming year following elections held during the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates in Chicago.
Peter W. Carmel, M.D., a pediatric neurosurgeon practicing in Newark, N.J. was sworn in as the AMA’s 166th president, while Jeremy A. Lazarus, M.D., a psychiatrist from Denver, Colo., was named to the office of president-elect.
In addition to Drs. Carmel and Lazarus, the AMA Board of Trustees officers for 2011-2012 include:
- Susan R. Bailey, M.D., an allergist, immunologist and pediatrician from Fort Worth, Texas, was elected vice speaker.
- David O. Barbe, M.D., a family medicine physician from Mountain Grove, Mo., was named secretary.
- Andrew W. Gurman, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon from Hollidaysburg, Pa., was elected speaker.
- Ardis D. Hoven, M.D., an infectious disease physician from Lexington, Ky., assumed the office of immediate past chair.
- Steven J. Stack, M.D., an emergency medicine physician from Lexington, Ky., was named as chair-elect.
- Robert M. Wah, M.D., an obstetrician/gynecologist from McLean, Va., assumed the office of chair.
- Cecil B. Wilson, M.D., an internist from Winter Park, Fla., assumed the office of immediate past president.
The newly elected members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Alexander Ding, M.D., a resident training in diagnostic radiology from Boston, Mass.
- Patrice A. Harris, M.D., a psychiatrist from Atlanta, Ga.
- Albert J. Osbahr, M.D., a family and occupational physician from Hickory, N.C.
- Georgia A. Tuttle, M.D., a dermatologist from Lebanon, N.H.
- Jordan M. VanLare, a medical student at the College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York, N.Y.
- Monica C. Wehby, M.D., a pediatric neurosurgeon from Portland, Ore.
Returning members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Joseph P. Annis, M.D., an anesthesiologist from Austin, Texas
- Christopher K. Kay, a lawyer from Purchase, N.Y.
- Mary Anne McCaffree, M.D., a pediatrician from Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Barbara L. McAneny, M.D., an oncologist from Albuquerque, N.M.
- Stephen R. Permut, M.D., J.D., a family medicine physician from Philadelphia, Pa.
- Carl A. Sirio, M.D., a critical care physician and internist from Pittsburgh, Pa.
Members of the AMA Board of Trustees are elected by physicians representing more than 180 state and specialty medical societies who gathered in Chicago for the annual meeting of the House of Delegates, the AMA's primary policy-making body. The mission of the AMA Board of Trustees is to foster the AMA's mission of promoting the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
# # #
For more information, please contact AMA Media Relations at (312) 464-4430.