AMA News Room
June 19, 2013
AMA Announces Board of Trustees for 2013-2014
For immediate release:
June 21, 2013
CHICAGO - The American Medical Association (AMA) today introduced the 21 members of its Board of Trustees for the coming year following elections held during the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates.
Ardis Dee Hoven, MD, an internal medicine and infectious disease specialist from Lexington, Ky., has been sworn in as the 168th president of the AMA, while Robert M. Wah, MD, a reproductive endocrinologist and ob-gyn in the Washington, D.C. area, was elected to the office of president-elect. Jeremy A. Lazarus, MD, a Denver psychiatrist, assumed the office of immediate past president.
The new chair of the AMA Board of Trustees is David O. Barbe, MD, MHA, a family medicine physician from Mountain Grove, Mo. Barbara L. McAneny, MD, a medical oncologist/hematologist from Albuquerque, N.M., was chosen as chair-elect.
The other executive officers on the AMA Board of Trustees for 2013-2014 are listed below:
- Susan R. Bailey, MD, an allergist, immunologist and pediatrician from Fort Worth, Texas, was re-elected vice speaker.
- Andrew W. Gurman, MD, an orthopedic surgeon from Hollidaysburg, Pa., was re-elected speaker.
- Carl A. Sirio, MD, a critical care physician and internist from Pittsburgh, Pa., was named secretary.
- Steven J. Stack, MD, an emergency medicine physician from Lexington, Ky., assumed the office of immediate past chair.
The newly elected members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Maya Babu, MD, MBA, a resident in neurosurgery from Rochester, Minn.
- Gerald E. Harmon, MD, a family medicine physician from Pawleys Island, S.C.
- Ryan Ribeira, a medical student at UC Davis School of Medicine in Sacramento, Calif.
The returning members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Joseph P. Annis, MD, an anesthesiologist from Austin, Texas.
- Julie Goonewardene, associate vice chancellor for innovation and entrepreneurship for the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kan.
- Patrice A. Harris, MD, a psychiatrist from Atlanta, Ga.
- William E. Kobler, MD, a family medicine physician from Rockford, Ill.
- Mary Anne McCaffree, MD, a pediatrician from Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Albert J. Osbahr, MD, a family and occupational physician from Hickory, N.C.
- Stephen R. Permut, MD, a family medicine physician from Wilmington, Del.
- Georgia A. Tuttle, MD, a dermatologist from Lebanon, N.H.
- Monica C. Wehby, MD, a pediatric neurosurgeon from Portland, Ore.
Members of the AMA Board of Trustees are elected by physicians and medical students representing more than 180 state and specialty medical societies who gathered in Chicago for the Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates, the AMA's primary policy-making body. The mission of the AMA Board of Trustees is to foster the promotion of the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
# # #
For more information, please contact AMA Media Relations at (312) 464-4430.