AMA Announces Board of Trustees for 2012-2013
For immediate release:
June 21, 2012
CHICAGO – The American Medical Association (AMA) today introduced the 21 members of its Board of Trustees for the coming year following elections held during the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates in Chicago.
Jeremy A. Lazarus, M.D., a Denver psychiatrist, was sworn in as the AMA’s 167th president, while Ardis D. Hoven, M.D., an internal medicine and infectious disease specialist from Lexington, Ky., was named to the office of president-elect. She will be the third woman to lead the AMA when she becomes president in June 2013. Peter W. Carmel, M.D., a pediatric neurosurgeon from Newark, N.J., assumed the office of immediate past president.
The new chair of the AMA Board of Trustees is Steven J. Stack, M.D., an emergency medicine physician from Lexington, Ky.
The other executive officers on the AMA Board of Trustees for 2012-2013 include:
- Susan R. Bailey, M.D., an allergist, immunologist and pediatrician from Fort Worth, Texas, was re-elected vice speaker.
- David O. Barbe, M.D., a family medicine physician from Mountain Grove, Mo., was named chair-elect.
- Andrew W. Gurman, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon from Hollidaysburg, Pa., was re-elected speaker.
- Stephen R. Permut, M.D., J.D., a family medicine physician from Philadelphia, Pa., was named secretary.
- Robert M. Wah, M.D., an obstetrician/gynecologist from McLean, Va., assumed the office of immediate past chair.
The newly elected members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Malini Daniel, a medical student at the Stanford School of Medicine in Palo Alto, Calif..
- Julie Goonewardene, associate vice chancellor for innovation and entrepreneurship for the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kan.
- William E. Kobler, M.D. , a family medicine physician from Rockford, Ill.
The returning members of the AMA Board of Trustees are:
- Joseph P. Annis, M.D., an anesthesiologist from Austin, Texas
- Alexander Ding, M.D., a resident training in diagnostic radiology from Boston, Mass.
- Patrice A. Harris, M.D., a psychiatrist from Atlanta, Ga.
- Barbara L. McAneny, M.D., an oncologist from Albuquerque, N.M.
- Mary Anne McCaffree, M.D., a pediatrician from Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Albert J. Osbahr, M.D., a family and occupational physician from Hickory, N.C.
- Carl A. Sirio, M.D., a critical care physician and internist from Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Georgia A. Tuttle, M.D., a dermatologist from Lebanon, N.H.
- Monica C. Wehby, M.D., a pediatric neurosurgeon from Portland, Ore.
Members of the AMA Board of Trustees are elected by physicians representing more than 180 state and specialty medical societies who gathered in Chicago for the annual meeting of the House of Delegates, the AMA's primary policy-making body. The mission of the AMA Board of Trustees is to foster the AMA's mission of promoting the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health
For more information, please contact AMA Media Relations at (312) 464-4430.