The AMA’s peer-based Succeed in Medical School with the AMA (SIMS) program sends an AMA student leader to selected schools to provide first-year medical students with an overview of the AMA.
Following the overview, a panel discussion led by third- and fourth-year medical students from your school will focus on local section involvement opportunities, career tips and how to manage life during medical school.
The AMA provides your SIMS event with:
- Lunch—all expenses paid
- AMA student leader
- Event promotion and planning guidance
- Panel discussion guidelines
To get started
Visit the MSSOP booth at the AMA-MSS Annual Meeting, June 13–15, to learn if your school was selected!
If your school was selected, you will have received an email accordingly. You'll need to complete the form you received in the email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. When choosing your SIMS event date, choose a date as close to your orientation club fairs as possible. Events must occur prior to Sept. 30, 2013.
A SIMS promotional poster was included in your recruitment kit. Please follow these instructions prior to poster use:
- Before hanging posters, be sure to gain permission from your school’s administrators to hang posters around the school. It is your responsibility to go through the necessary channels before posting any promotional materials.
- SIMS posters should be used to promote your school’s SIMS event. Once you have scheduled your SIMS event through the AMA and coordinated it with your school’s administration, place these posters in a highly visible area, such as first- and second-year lecture halls, the cafeteria and common areas.
- Hang posters one to two weeks prior to your event. Be sure to fill in the time, date and location of the event.
Even if your school was not selected to host an AMA student leader this year, you can still benefit from the SIMS program by planning a “Do-it-Yourself” (DIY) SIMS event! You will receive funding from AMA to cover lunch and event promotion items. To request a DIY SIMS event, please submit a Section Involvement Grant using the online form at ama-assn.org/go/sig and name the title of your event “DIY SIMS.”
DIY SIMS Resources:
Please contact email@example.com for more information.