2015-2016 Medical Student Outreach Leader Calendar
Register as a Medical Student Outreach Leader
- 2015–2016 Medical Student Section Outreach Program kickoff and Medical Student Outreach Leader sign-up
- Set up your recruitment profile and order your recruitment kit and incentives
AMA National Medical Student Meeting
June 4-6, Chicago
- Recruiter training session: "Driving Membership: Leading the Charge"
- Request an incoming first-year student class list from your school’s student affairs/administrative office.
- Develop a plan for recruitment. Meet with fellow section leaders at your school and develop an agenda for the activities fair and beyond.
- Begin planning a recruitment event through the Section Grants program.
- If your school permits it, place a welcome letter, event flyer, recruiter contact flyer and/or applications in student mailboxes. Be sure to include your contact information so the applications make it back to you.
Fall membership recruitment
- Send a pre-orientation welcome letter/email to first-year medical students prior to the activities fair. Be sure to invite them to visit the AMA table during the activities fair.
- Familiarize yourself with the medical student benefits brochure, the frequently asked questions and key points for your recruiting conversations flyers.
- Organize section members to recruit at the activities fair—your preparation will pay off!
- Promote AMA membership to all student nonmembers. Review or order more recruitment materials.
- Encourage immediate enrollment.
- Distribute and collect applications and payments, or bring laptops and direct students to the online application (www.ama- assn.org/go/joinstudent).
- Provide new student members with their membership incentive (four-year memberships only).
- Submit new member applications and dues weekly. (If you have application-related questions or need assistance, contact student membership.)
- Continue promoting AMA membership to nonmembers. Follow up with an email to students who did not join during orientation.
- Apply for recruitment funds through the Section Grants program to support your AMA section recruiting events.
Fall commission deadline: Nov. 6
- Membership applications applied to your section’s first commission check must be received by this date.
- Share your voice—watch your email for our fall survey and tell us how we can improve the program.
AMA Interim National Medical Student Meeting, Nov. 12-14, Atlanta
- Medical student outreach leader workshop will cover event ideas, program improvements, questions and answers, and more.
- Fall commission checks are distributed to eligible sections.
- Spring recruitment information is distributed to recruiters.
- Submit a Data Licensing Agreement to request a list of members and nonmembers at your school. (You are able to request this list at any time throughout the school year.)
- Contact AMA nonmembers at your school with membership information (reference benefits by year letter/email) and/or invite them to a section meeting.
- Set up spring event(s). Use these links for event ideas, planning support and additional recruiting materials. Invite and encourage nonmembers to attend. Remember to apply for a Section Grants to receive funding.
February - March 2016
AMA Advocacy Day
- AMA Advocacy Day, held in conjunction with the AMA National Advocacy Concerence in Washington, D.C.
Spring commission deadline: March 25
- Membership applications applied to your section’s second commission check must be received by this date.
Transition for following year
- Identify your outreach leader replacement and set up a meeting to transition responsibilities. Send his or her name and contact information to AMA staff.
- Return unused Netter’s Anatomy Flash Cards or Rapid Review Pathology. Access the UPS Return Instructions document found in your recruitment kit. Do not hold onto unused incentives for the incoming medical student outreach leader.
- Spring commission checks are distributed to eligible sections.