AMA CME Credit System
The AMA has several resources to provide information and guidance about the AMA CME credit system for continuing medical education (CME) providers and physicians.
Information for CME Providers
In order to certify educational activities for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™, an organization must be based in the United States and accredited by either the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) or a recognized state medical society (SMS). Activities certified for AMA PRA credit must meet both the AMA's and the accreditor's requirements .
- Download the guide to the Physician's Recognition Award and credit system to find more information on certifying activities for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit and applying for the Physician's Recognition Award.
- Read the relevant Council of Ethical and Judicial Affairs opinions to plan all AMA PRA credit activities in accordance with their guidelines:
- Find answers to frequently asked questions for CME providers relating to certifying activities for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit .
- Gain guidance on the requirements for designating new procedures and skills courses for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit.
- Locate the AMA's procedures for handling complaints regarding AMA PRA credit.
- Explore the ACCME website to find details on CME accreditation and access lists of recognized state medical societies and ACCME- and SMS-accredited CME providers.
Information for Physicians
- Find information on state or territory CME requirements for medical license renewal from the Federation of State Medical Boards.
- Learn more about the AMA PRA credit system in the FAQ for physicians.
FAQs were last updated in December 2015. For additional questions on the PRA credit system or certifying CME, please contact us by email.
- Subscribe to MedEd Update to access the monthly e-newsletter that covers news and updates related to medical school, graduate medical education, continuing physician professional development and health care careers.
International CME Activities
Physicians can earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit for participation in international activities that are covered by AMA credit system agreements or activities approved through the AMA International Conference Recognition Program.
- Use the global template to find the core requirements to establish agreements with international organizations to designate CME activities or convert international credit to AMA PRA credit.
- Authorized representatives can request information about the AMA's process for establishing an agreement between regional or national CME credit systems and the AMA PRA Credit System.
- Find information about the International Conference Recognition Program for conference organizers to review the criteria for activity approval or to see a list of international conferences that have been approved through this program.
For questions on:
- AMA Physicians Recognition Award
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Direct Credit Application
Please contact: email@example.com or (312) 464-4669
For information regarding:
- AMA PRA Credit System
- International Conference Recognition Program
- AMA relationships with credit systems in other countries
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 464-4668
To become an accredited CME provider:
Please contact the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) at (312)527-9200