Preventing Opioid Abuse: Be Part of the Solution
people a day
die from opioid abuse
What Can I Do to Prevent Opioid Abuse?
Opioid abuse is a national epidemic that you have the power to help prevent.
The AMA Task Force to Reduce Opioid Abuse wants physicians across the nation to join together and take action to prevent opioid abuse.
Here are five things you can do to prevent opioid abuse:
- Register and use your state prescription drug monitoring program to check your patient's prescription history.
- Educate yourself on managing pain and promoting safe, responsible opioid prescribing.
- Support overdose prevention measures, such as increased access to naloxone.
- Reduce the stigma of substance use disorder and enhance access to treatment.
- Ensure patients in pain aren't stigmatized and can receive comprehensive treatment.