Be a "Very Influential Physician"
The AMA and the Physicians' Grassroots Network (PGN) have unveiled a new grassroots mobile application to aid physicians' ability to influence Congress. This new app has been designed to not only assist you while visiting Capitol Hill, but also serve as an advocacy tool when interacting with legislators back home.
- An interactive Capitol Hill office directory with office location numbers, phone, fax and additional contact information for your US Representative and Senators.
- A built-in email and phone action alert tool which will be functional year round so that you can respond to the latest activity on Capitol Hill.
- Access to timely talking points on our most critical issues and a real-time online feedback form to report back on your interactions with legislators.
Download the app today and stay tuned for additional features and updates in 2013!
The AMA has developed the VIP grassroots program to help physicians take on a leadership role in grassroots activities and to build and leverage the contacts physicians maintain with their elected officials to advance our shared agenda on Capitol Hill. Whether you have a relationship with one or more members of Congress or their staff, ranging from personal friendships, to serving as a campaign volunteer, or working together in a professional capacity, or you would like to develop a better relationship with a specific lawmaker and their office, we want to help you in this process and enable you to maximize the value of these key contacts.
Together with other AMA VIPs, you will have the opportunity to personally educate and engage members of Congress on issues important to organized medicine. You are a trusted source to them and, as an authority on health care, they will listen to what you have to say. As critical legislation begins to move in Congress, you will be kept up-to-date with special VIP alerts and opportunities to personally contact your legislators directly by phone, email, or through face-to-face office visits.
On November 12 the AMA hosted a grassroots webinar featuring Brad Fitch, president and CEO of the Congressional Management Foundation. Highlights of the webinar included:
- Five rules for influencing lawmakers in times of crisis
- Grassroots techniques to help maintain bipartisan support and achieve success in a partisan climate
- A breakdown of the impact of different forms of communication, including email, social media, postal mail and in-person visits
- How to conduct effective face-to-face meetings
The AMA's VIP program hosted a webinar featuring Stephanie Vance, the "Advocacy Guru." This webinar focused on identifying opportunities to interact with lawmakers during the August legislative district work period, how to conduct effective in-person meetings, influencing legislators at town hall meetings and other effective advocacy techniques. The archived webinar and slide deck are available for viewing.
Brad Fitch, President and CEO of Congressional Management Foundation, presented at the AMA's 2012 National Advoaccy Conference on how to be an effective citizen advocate.
Learn about the do's and don'ts of lobbying Congress:
Questions about the VIP program? Contact the AMA's office of Political and Legislative Grassroots at (202) 789-7466.
Become a VIP today and receive your free, members-only VIP padfolio. As a VIP you will also receive many other benefits, including:
- Opportunities to meet with your elected officials and their staff on Capitol Hill or at their district offices.
- Special VIP communications highlighting legislative and political activity on Capitol Hill and around the country.
- Training programs and materials to help you become a more effective grassroots advocate.
- Networking opportunities with fellow VIPs at AMA functions and meetings.