As Congress considers solutions for repealing Medicare's failed SGR formula before the new year, amplifying the physician voice on the issue is critical.
Specifically, legislative proposals passed by the House Committee on Energy & Commerce, House Committee on Ways & Means and Senate Committee on Finance focused on repeal of the sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula and the future of physician payment policy and delivery models. While a number of AMA supported proposals have been included by all three committees, significant work remains to be done in order to improve this legislation and achieve repeal of the SGR this year.
Please take action by sending an email or calling your lawmakers via the AMA's Physicians Grassroots Network (PGN) hotline at (800) 833-6354Please convey the following points to your representative and senators:
- Congress must finally act this year to repeal the SGR;
- Payment updates must allow physician practices to keep pace with the cost of caring for our nation's senior and disabled population;
- Existing burdens and penalties must be reduced;
- New systems should not be overly burdensome or duplicative of current efforts; and
- Physicians must have the opportunity to lead in the development of quality metrics and alternative payment and delivery models.
Be sure to visit FixMedicareNow.org for the latest information and resources on the AMA's campaign to engage physicians, patients and policymakers in the effort to repeal the flawed Medicare SGR formula and achieve reform that will transform Medicare into an effective, 21st century model of care.
The AMA and the Physicians' Grassroots Network (PGN) have unveiled a new grassroots mobile application to aid physicians’ ability to influence Congress. This new app has been designed to not only assist you while visiting Capitol Hill, but also serve as an advocacy tool when interacting with legislators back home.
- An interactive Capitol Hill office directory with office location numbers, phone, fax and additional contact information for your US Representative and Senators.
- A built-in email and phone action alert tool which will be functional year round so that you can respond to the latest activity on Capitol Hill.
- Access to timely talking points on our most critical issues and a real-time online feedback form to report back on your interactions with legislators.
Download the app today and stay tuned for additional features and updates in 2013!