Summer Update: Soon Congress will be heading home leaving very little time to pass a permanent repeal of the sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula before the session comes to a close. That’s why this summer we need you to contact your legislators and urge them to repeal the flawed Medicare SGR formula that hurts both physicians and patients alike by annually threatening payment cuts which will impact a patient's choice of physician and access to the care that they need. Download our physician “Action Kit” for more information.
Be sure to visit FixMedicareNow.org for the latest information and resources on the AMA's efforts to engage physicians, patients and policymakers in the effort to repeal the flawed Medicare SGR formula and achieve reform that will transform Medicare into an effective, 21st century model of care.
Please convey the following points to your representative and senators:
- Tell your members of Congress today that now is the time to enact repeal;
- The SGR formula is widely acknowledged to be a policy failure. The SGR has forced Congress to intervene 17 times since 2003 to prevent steep payment cuts and preserve seniors’ access to care;
- Repealing the SGR is the fiscally responsible choice. More money has been spent on short-term interventions that supported this failed policy than the cost of the legislation pending in Congress today;
- It is time to establish new payment methods that will support the health care delivery systems that Medicare patients and American taxpayers deserve;
The AMA and the Physicians' Grassroots Network (PGN) have unveiled a new grassroots mobile application to aid physicians’ ability to influence Congress. This new app has been designed to not only assist you while visiting Capitol Hill, but also serve as an advocacy tool when interacting with legislators back home.
- An interactive Capitol Hill office directory with office location numbers, phone, fax and additional contact information for your US Representative and Senators.
- A built-in email and phone action alert tool which will be functional year round so that you can respond to the latest activity on Capitol Hill.
- Access to timely talking points on our most critical issues and a real-time online feedback form to report back on your interactions with legislators.
Download the app today and stay tuned for additional features and updates in 2013!