Hard work by both Republicans and Democrats has produced a long-awaited, hard-fought policy framework to repeal Medicare's fatally flawed SGR formula. Congress is now closer than ever to repealing the SGR formula and putting Medicare on the path toward a stable, 21st-century program that can meet the growing health care needs of the nation's seniors.
Congress is working against a March 31 deadline, at which point the SGR formula calls for a 24 percent cut to physician payments. It's critical to maintain the momentum in Congress: Your voice could tip the balance to pass repeal this year. Please take action by sending an email or calling your lawmakers via the AMA's Physicians Grassroots Network (PGN) hotline at (800) 833-6354Please convey the following points to your representative and senators:
- Tell your members of Congress today that now is the time to enact repeal;
- The SGR formula is widely acknowledged to be a policy failure. The SGR has forced Congress to intervene 16 times since 2003 to prevent steep payment cuts and preserve seniors’ access to care;
- Repealing the SGR is the fiscally responsible choice. More money has been spent on short-term interventions that supported this failed policy than the cost of the legislation pending in Congress today;
- It is time to establish new payment methods that will support the health care delivery systems that Medicare patients and American taxpayers deserve;
- Congress must seize this opportunity and act before March 31, when the SGR calls for a 24 percent across-the-board cut in Medicare physician payments.
Be sure to visit FixMedicareNow.org for the latest information and resources on the AMA's campaign to engage physicians, patients and policymakers in the effort to repeal the flawed Medicare SGR formula and achieve reform that will transform Medicare into an effective, 21st century model of care.
The AMA and the Physicians' Grassroots Network (PGN) have unveiled a new grassroots mobile application to aid physicians’ ability to influence Congress. This new app has been designed to not only assist you while visiting Capitol Hill, but also serve as an advocacy tool when interacting with legislators back home.
- An interactive Capitol Hill office directory with office location numbers, phone, fax and additional contact information for your US Representative and Senators.
- A built-in email and phone action alert tool which will be functional year round so that you can respond to the latest activity on Capitol Hill.
- Access to timely talking points on our most critical issues and a real-time online feedback form to report back on your interactions with legislators.
Download the app today and stay tuned for additional features and updates in 2013!