On March 18, 2015, Lawmakers unveiled a bipartisan bill to eliminate the Medicare sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula, with only days left before the current physician payment patch expires on March 31. The bill, H.R. 2 (formerly H.R. 1470/S. 810), is an updated version of the policies set forth in last year's bipartisan, bicameral Medicare payment reform bill. The House is expected to vote on the entire proposal next week, before the March 31 expiration date of the current patch.
That's why we need you to turn up the heat on your lawmakers to encourage them to continue working in a bipartisan manner and remind them that they have unfinished business on repealing the SGR formula and designing a new Medicare physician payment system.
Send your members of Congress an urgent email and call their offices via the AMA's Physicians Grassroots Network hotline at (800) 833-6354.
Be sure to visit FixMedicareNow.org for the latest information and resources on the AMA's efforts to engage physicians, patients and policymakers in the effort to repeal the flawed Medicare SGR formula and achieve reform that will transform Medicare into an effective, 21st century model of care.
Please convey the following points to your representative and senators:
- Vote yes on H.R. 2;
- Tell your members of Congress today that now is the time to enact repeal;
- The SGR formula is widely acknowledged to be a policy failure. The SGR has forced Congress to intervene 17 times since 2003 to prevent steep payment cuts and preserve seniors’ access to care;
- Repealing the SGR is the fiscally responsible choice. More money has been spent on short-term interventions that supported this failed policy than the cost of the legislation pending in Congress today;
- It is time to establish new payment methods that will support the health care delivery systems that Medicare patients and American taxpayers deserve.
The AMA and the Physicians' Grassroots Network (PGN) have unveiled a new grassroots mobile application to aid physicians’ ability to influence Congress. This new app has been designed to not only assist you while visiting Capitol Hill, but also serve as an advocacy tool when interacting with legislators back home.
- An interactive Capitol Hill office directory with office location numbers, phone, fax and additional contact information for your US Representative and Senators.
- A built-in email and phone action alert tool which will be functional year round so that you can respond to the latest activity on Capitol Hill.
- Access to timely talking points on our most critical issues and a real-time online feedback form to report back on your interactions with legislators.
Download the app today!