Shaping Delivery and Payment Models
As the nation’s health care system continues to evolve, the American Medical Association is dedicated to helping physicians navigate the environment successfully by ensuring sustainable physician practices that result in good health outcomes for patients and greater professional satisfaction for physicians.
Toward this goal the AMA will:
- INITIATE research activities and establish partnerships with individual physicians, integrated physician organizations and others
- IDENTIFY effective delivery models that achieve both high-quality patient care and professional satisfaction
- SHARE these insights with physicians to help them make informed decisions about their practices
- DEVELOP tools and resources that enable physicians to adopt strategies that meet their needs
We will build momentum for adoption of these models in both the public and private sector and encourage their implementation by organizations seeking to attract physicians.
Our work will build upon the AMA’s ongoing federal and state legislative activities to shape better payment and delivery models for physicians and patients.
Fundamentals for a better system include:
- Development of best practices for delivery that improve outcomes and health, increase productivity, save lives and money
- Adoption of payment policies that reflect the diversity of physician services, levels of clinical integration and risk
- Identification of options that allow physicians to choose models that fit their mode of practice
By identifying current and emerging payment and delivery models that work best for physicians across a variety of practice settings, the AMA will play a vital role in helping physicians navigate the evolving health care environment successfully.
When we are successful, the AMA will be a major national force showcasing delivery and payment models that restore professional satisfaction and practice sustainability for physicians. We will play an active role in supporting physicians through related practice changes, providing relevant solutions across specialties, practice settings and geographies. Ultimately, we will strive to create a more stable environment that better serves physicians and the patients under our care.