Senior Physicians Section
Learn more about the benefits of belonging to the AMA Senior Physicians Section. Join the nearly 56,000 senior physician group members and remain active and involved in the AMA medical community.
- NEW! Submit SPS Resolutions by September 5 for the 2014 Interim Meeting. Any SPS member may submit a resolution as an individual or on behalf of their state or specialty society. If you are an AMA-SPS member, and would like to have help with a resolution, please contact our Delegate (Claire Wolfe, MD) or Alternate Delegate (John Knote, MD). Resolutions will be accepted that establish new policy in one of these two areas:
- Resolutions that are directed to the interests of senior physicians (65 years of age and older, whether working full time, part time or fully retired).
- Resolutions that relate to patients in this segment of the population (65 years of age and older), or are a proposed action that would benefit patients in this segment.
- The SPS held its Assembly Meeting and Educational Program on June 7, in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates. View highlights from the A-14 SPS GC Meeting. An online member forum for the Assembly Meeting is open for comments on future policy issues.
- Subscribe to AMA Morning Rounds Weekend Edition to receive a members-only compilation of top AMA, clinical and socioeconomic news from the week, and news for the AMA Senior Physicians Section. Be sure to indicate that you would like to receive news for the AMA Senior Physicians Section.
- Travel Opportunities are now available for 2014 through AHI Travel, a travel provider selected by the AMA for its members.
- View the program description and register for access on the Learning Management System for the June 2013 Joint Educational Program in Chicago entitled "The Aging Physician: Opportunities and Challenges."
- The AMA Insurance Agency offers customized solutions for your personal and professional needs. View new products and get a rate quote.
About the AMA-SPS
Any AMA physician 65 years of age or older is an automatic member of the Senior Physicians Section (SPS). The AMA-SPS is the largest senior physician group in the United States.
Staying active and involved
- Interested in returning back to practice? The AMA has developed re-entry resources that can help get you started. In addition, the AMA-SPS Governing Council would be interested in your feedback. Are you interested in full-time practice? Part-time? Free Clinics? Teaching? Let us know what resources would benefit you most at this stage of your career.
- Medical State Licensure Information for senior physicians
- Learn the facts about health system reform, and review the latest developments on the AMA's Advocacy Efforts
- Volunteer Opportunities for seniors
- State Licensing & Liability Laws (Updated October 2012)
Call to action
Dr. Samuel A. Cassell, MD, the Jack B. McConnell, MD Award winner, was recently honored at the Excellence in Medicine Award Reception in June 2014. He is pictured alongside Dr. Edmond Cabbabe, AMA Foundation President.
Contact us at:
AMA Department of Senior Physicians Section
330 N Wabash
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone (312) 464-5523