Public Health Resources
AMA Physician Resources for Patient Education and Disease Management
- Eliminating health disparities: AMA Initiatives
- Health Literacy: Breaking Barriers (Presentation)
- Educating Physicians on Controversies in Health: Web series on challenges at the interface of clinical medicine and public health. Issues include quarantine, obesity, avian flu, uninformed consent, language barriers, STI vaccines, etc.
- Patient Safety
- Medicaid and S-Chip Made Simple
- AMA-RFS Resources for Planning a Health Fair or Health Screening Event
Disease- or Population-Specific
- Tobacco Use: Youth and Young Adults Presentation & Notes Page
- Environmental Geriatrics: Improving Function & Safety
- Medical Management of the Home Care Patient: Guidelines for Physicians
Public Health Opportunities for Physicians
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
AHRQ sponsors the Mentored Research Scientist Development Award and the Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award in health services research. Support is provided for the development of outstanding clinician research scientists who are committed to a career in health services research, with a focus on development as an independent scientist.
- US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps is an elite team of highly qualified public health professionals dedicated to delivering the Nation's public health promotion and disease prevention programs and advancing public health science.
- Centers for Disease Control Prevention Epidemic Intelligence Service is a two-year postgraduate program for health professionals interested in the practice of epidemiology. Every year, CDC's EIS Program selects 70–80 persons from among the nation's top health professionals to enter the EIS and pursue on-the-job training in applied epidemiologic skills.
National Public Health Organizations
- AMA Council on Science and Public Health offers reports on numerous public health topics.
- The Joint Commission (TJC): Patient safety goals, practices, and solutions. Also view sentinel event alerts and performance measures.
- American Association of Public Health Physicians
- American Public Health Association (APHA)