OMSS Education - Physician Employment
--Free for AMA members; $30-45 for non-members.
CME credit is no longer available for this program.
Charles Bond, Esq.
Employment of physicians has increasingly become more prevalent in today's hospital's. The structure and provisions of employment agreements can have far-reaching consequences for the practitioner, their patients and the employing organization. This program will provide an overview of relevant law and the implications of contract provisions on professional practice, compensation, and lifestyle. It will also highlight important considerations for those involved in the process such as, compensation, non-compete, on-call, re-payment and termination provisions.
- Cite background information on federal and state law as it relates to the corporate practice of medicine and physician employment.
- Differentiate between an independent contractor and an employment relationship.
- Identify national trends and statistical information on physician employment by hospitals.
- Describe the contracting process.
- Discuss the structure and standard provisions of a physician employment agreement.
- Explain the important provisions and considerations for those involved in the process of employment contracting.