House Coordinating Committee Responsibilities
The House Coordinating Committee (HCC) is a convention committee selected for each Annual and Interim Meeting to support the MSS Delegate and Alternate Delegate, as well as the MSS regional delegates and student members of their state delegations, in forming a common and well-informed position on resolutions and reports presented for the AMA House of Delegates. This committee is also responsible for coordinating student testimony for HOD reference committees for all student authored resolutions.
MSS Delegate and Alternate Delegate
The MSS Alternate Delegate will serve as the primary liaison to the House Coordinating Committee (HCC) and will be a constant resource to the HCC Chairs throughout their tenure.
- The MSS Alternate Delegate should establish the HCC listserv and contact the HCC Chairs soon after committee appointment.
- Additionally, the HCC guide should be distributed to the HCC soon after selection and prior to the release of HOD resolutions.
- The MSS Alternate Delegate is responsible for working with the MSS Delegate and HCC Chairs to develop a timeline for the HCC work to be accomplished (see sample attached).
- The MSS Alternate Delegate should review the HCC report submitted by the regional chairs with the MSS Delegate and then post this report to the HCC and RD listservs as well as submit the report to the MSS staff for printing.
- The MSS Alternate Delegate, in cooperation with the MSS Delegate, is responsible for assisting the HCC Chairs and HCC in identifying those resolutions on which MSS testimony should be prepared by the HCC.
- The MSS Alternate Delegate, in conjunction with the MSS Delegate, is responsible for preparing the MSS mini-brink and submitting this to MSS staff for printing and distribution.
- This MSS mini-brick will include the HCC report, the HCC meeting agenda, GC, HCC and RD contact information, and background information and talking points on MSS resolutions being forwarded to the HOD or on MSS-relevant HOD resolutions.
- The MSS Alternate Delegate, with the assistance of the HCC Chairs, will serve as the primary liaison to the RDs during the HOD session as well as the primary means of communication with the MSS Delegate during the HOD.
- All communication from the HCC or RDs during this time should thus be directed to the MSS Delegate through the MSS Alternate Delegate.
- The MSS Delegate and Alternate will work with the HCC Chairs to prepare a daily update to distribute to the RDs at the daily MSS caucuses during the HOD.
- The MSS Delegate and Alternate will hold daily MSS caucuses during the HOD to provide a structured means of communication and coordination among all RDs and student state delegates.
- HCC Chairs are responsible for communication with and coordination of the HCC via the HCC listserv.
- They are to work closely with the MSS Delegate and Alternate Delegate to develop a timeline for completion of HCC duties (see sample timeline attached) and should share this timeline with the HCC.
Reference Committee Assignments
- The HCC Chairs are responsible for assigning HCC members to HOD reference committees and to resolutions within these reference committees to review.
- They should when possible, try to accommodate HCC member preferences of which reference committee they wish to be assigned to.
- Every effort should be made to pair more experienced with less experienced HCC members when making reference committee assignments.
- In general, HCC chairs should not be assigned to specific reference committees in order to allow them the flexibility to move between reference committees at the meeting and thereby be most available to address any questions or problems that arise during the reference committee hearings.
HCC Report Preparation
- After reference committee assignments are made, the HCC Chairs should work with the MSS Alternate Delegate to ensure that the HCC guide and information on how to write an HCC report is distributed in a timely manner.
- HCC chairs should allocate specific resolutions within a reference committee for review to HCC members. (Ex: Even numbered resolutions to senior member, Odds to junior member.)
- HCC chairs should make themselves available to the HCC members should any questions or problems arise during preparation of HCC reports.
- HCC reports should be submitted to HCC Chairs who will then format and edit the reports and submit the compiled report to the MSS Delegate and Alternate for final review. If HCC members fail to prepare these reports, the HCC Chair is ultimately responsible for preparing them himself/herself.
- Following final review by the MSS Delegate and Alternate, the HCC Chairs should help to ensure that the HCC report is distributed to all HCC members and RDs.
- HCC Chairs are responsible for assisting the MSS Delegate and Alternate in identifying those HOD resolutions on which the MSS should testify.
- HCC Chairs should then divide those resolutions among HCC members so that testimony can be prepared and submitted to the HCC Chairs and subsequently to the MSS Delegate and Alternate prior to the meeting.
- HCC Chairs are expected to stay throughout the entire MSS and HOD meetings and to be present during all HOD sessions and all HCC caucuses.
- The HCC Chairs are responsible for assisting the MSS Delegate and Alternate in coordinating the HCC testimony writing session and all HCC caucuses.
- HCC Chairs should oversee the testimony writing session.
- HCC Chairs should create a list of resolutions on which the MSS will be testifying and confirm this list with the MSS Delegate and Alternate.
- HCC Chairs should ensure that the HCC members from each reference committee are overseeing testimony writing for these resolutions.
- HCC Chairs should ask for submission of all prepared testimony to them for review and should review all submitted testimony.
Reference Committee Hearings
- HCC Chairs will oversee the coordination of testimony within HOD reference committees and will ensure that HCC members or delegates are present in each reference committee to deliver such testimony.
- HCC Chairs should be available to HCC members during HOD reference committee hearings should questions or problems arise.
- HCC Chairs are responsible for assisting the MSS Delegate and Alternate in communicating with Regional Delegation Chairs during the HOD in order to provide a bi-directional flow of information between the RDs and the MSS Delegate and Alternate.
- At the HOD, HCC Chairs will assist the MSS Alternate Delegate in serving as the liaison between RDs and the MSS Delegate.
- HCC Chairs will work with the MSS Delegate and Alternate in the preparation of daily updates for distribution to the RDs at the daily MSS Caucuses during the HOD.
- HCC Chairs should be present at all MSS Caucuses and should assist the MSS Delegate and Alternate in running the caucuses when needed.
- HCC members are responsible for reading all emails received over the HCC listserve and responding to all emails in a timely manner.
- HCC members are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the HCC guide outlining their responsibilities on the HCC.
- Reference committee preferences must be submitted by the deadline outlined by the HCC Chairs.
HCC Report Preparation
- HCC members are responsible for reviewing and preparing reports for regional delegates on assigned resolutions in their reference committee prior to the meeting to distribute to regional delegates.
- Reports should be submitted by the deadline outlined by HCC Chairs.
- While reviewing the resolutions within their assigned reference committee, HCC members should identify those resolutions on which the MSS will want to testify in HOD reference committees including those regarding student issues or on topics on which the MSS has strong policy or has identified as top priorities.
- HCC members should work closely with authors of MSS resolutions going to the HOD in formulating the testimony on these resolutions being forwarded.
- Additionally, HCC members are responsible for preparing testimony and talking points on HOD resolutions on which the MSS has policy and wants to make a statement.
- HCC members are expected to attend all HCC meetings, testimony writing, and regional delegate training and should be able to stay through at least the reference committee hearings of the HOD.
HCC Report Presentation
- HCC members should become the “expert” on their assigned resolutions so that the MSS Delegate or RDs can seek them out with any questions regarding that issue.
- HCC members are expected to present their resolution report to the HCC and RDs during the first HCC meeting or other appointed time.
- HCC members should prepare a list of all resolutions within their reference committee on which the MSS will deliver testimony.
- HCC members should coordinate the preparation of testimony for all resolutions within their reference committee on which the MSS is going to testify.
- HCC members should work with resolution authors to ensure that testimony is prepared and submitted appropriately and that students are prepared to testify in reference committee hearings.
- All prepared testimony should be submitted to HCC Chairs and MSS Delegate and Alternate.
- HCC members should ensure that all prepared testimony is assigned to a specific student to be presented during reference committee hearings.
Reference Committee Hearings
- During reference committee hearings, HCC members are responsible for coordinating the presentation of testimony within their assigned reference committees, including coordinating Regional/Alternate Delegates or other MSS members to testify on specific resolutions (This should almost always be decided on ahead of time as outlined above).
- HCC members, when appropriate, should also testify on MSS resolutions in their reference committee.
- During reference committee hearings HCC members should be available in a set location so that RDs and other MSS members can easily locate them if questions or problems arise.
- HCC members are expected to be present throughout the hearings of their assigned reference committee and to listen closely to testimony, take notes, and be prepared to report back to the Delegate and Alternate, the HCC, and RDs on the discussion that took place.
- HCC members are expected to attend all MSS caucuses and be prepared to report on the discussion that took place within their reference committee on all assigned resolutions.