Committee on Global Health and Policy
About the Committee
The AMA-MSS Committee on Global and Public Health (CGPH) is responsible for reviewing current global and domestic public health issues in the literature, educating the MSS on public health topics, particularly on how public health projects can be implemented at MSS members’ institutions, organize and establish the AMA-MSS as a leader in public health, and more actively involve the MSS membership in public health initiatives.
David Dornbos, Chair
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Andrew Osten, Vice Chair
Tufts University School of Medicine
UMDNJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Medicine
Global Health and Policy Resources
World Health Organization- World Health Reports
These annual reports combine an expert assessment of global health, including statistics relating to all countries, with a focus on a specific subject each year. The main purpose of the report is to provide countries, donor agencies, international organizations, and others with the information they need to help them make policy and funding decisions.
- 2006 Working Together for Health: This report lays out a ten-year action plan by which countries can build their health workforces, with the support of global partners.
- 2005 Make Every Mother and Child Count: This report discusses the importance of every mother and every child having access to health care from pregnancy through childbirth, the neonatal period and childhood.
- 2004 Changing History: This report calls for a comprehensive HIV/AIDS strategy that links prevention, treatment, care and long-term support.
- 2003 Shaping the Future: This report examines the global health situation and some of the major threats to health in today's world.
- 2002 Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: This report describes the amount of disease, disability and death in the world today that can be attributed to a selected number of the most important risks to human health.
- 2001 Mental Health: New Understanding, New Hope: This report focuses on the fact that mental health – neglected for far too long – is crucial to the overall well-being of individuals, societies and countries.
- 2000 Improving Health Systems: Improving Performance: This report examines and compares aspects of health systems around the world.
Rx for Survival: A Global Health Challenge
This series of PBS documentaries examines what makes us sick, what keeps us healthy, and what it would take to give good health the upper hand.
Awakening Hippocrates: A Primer on Health, Poverty, and Global Service
This resource takes aim on helping health professionals better understand the reasons for global health disparities. The primer outlines the reasons why health professionals are essential to affecting change in current global affairs and how they can participate in serving those who are in need.