2010 AMA-MSS Interim Meeting
Nov. 4-6, 2010
Manchester Grand Hyatt
San Diego, California
More than 650 medical students attended the 2010 AMA-MSS Interim Meeting, which offered 25 educational programs on a range of topics including leadership development, public health and our health care system, health information technology, medical student debt, and grant research.
Keynote speaker Richard DeBowes, DVM, professor of surgery and Associate Dean for Veterinary Development and External Relations, and Director of the Professional Life Skills Program at Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, spoke on leadership during times of change.
National Service Project
The AMA-MSS continued its National Service Project by hosting a “Health and Fitness Fun” event at the Mid-City Gym Recreational Center in San Diego. Medical student volunteers engaged community members in exercise and health education activities aimed to teach them about the AMA Healthier Life Steps™ program, which focuses on four key health behaviors: poor diet, physical inactivity, alcohol consumption, and tobacco use.
More than 100 medical students participated in the Eighth Annual AMA Research Symposium. The following students were named category winners and will each recieve a $100 check:
- Biochemistry/Cell Biology— Jade Fettig, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University
- Cancer Biology— Steven Lau, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine
- Clinical/Epidemiological/Health Care— Roberto Emilio Montenegro, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Immunology/Infectious disease/Inflammation— Frank Hebroni, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
- Neurobiology/Neuroscience— Nima Golchin, University of Iowa School of Medicine
- Organ Systems— Jamie Johnson, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Radiology/Imaging—Sandeep Garg, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Surgery/Biomedical Engineering— Harold Fogel, Chicago Medical School
Kellie Middleton, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, was awarded first place in the Podium Presentation Competition, and Frank Hebroni, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, was named the overall winner of the Poster Symposium. Ms. Middleton and Mr. Hebroni will each receive a trip to the 2011 AMA-MSS Annual Meeting in Chicago.
The AMA-MSS is pleased to announce the election of the AMA-MSS Chair-elect, Thomas R. Eckler, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, and AMA Student Trustee, Jordan VanLare, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, whose terms commence after the 2011 Annual Meeting.
The AMA-MSS Assembly considered 52 items of business spanning a wide range of issues, including global health education in medical school, novel ways to address medical education debt, taxes on sugar sweetened beverages, school health standards, and the medical student voice in efforts to improve the National Health Service Corps. Thirty-one of these items were adopted, eighteen of which will be forwarded to the AMA House of Delegates for consideration at the 2011 Annual Meeting in Chicago.
- Proceedings of the 2010 AMA-MSS Interim Meeting