IMG Representation in AMA and Organized Medicine
38,000 members strong!
The IMG members of the AMA are a formidable voice in organized medicine. At the 2005 Annual Meeting in June, the Council on Constitution and Bylaws amended the IMG Section Bylaws to provide that all AMA members who are IMGs automatically become members of the IMG Section and that all IMG Section members be allowed to vote in the election of the IMG Section Governing Council.
Official Observers in the AMA House of Delegates: Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates and Federation of State Medical Boards
IMG Section Key Issues and Advocacy - some key issues on the IMG Section agenda:
- Primary Source Verification - creating a streamlined process for IMGs to obtain orginal documentation.
- Parity for IMGs in Licensure Requirements - state license parity for IMGs and USMGs.Deselection of medical schools by state licensing bodies.
- IMG Representation on National Boards - the NRMP and ACGME have recently added IMG seats to their board of directors.
- Equality in Examinations - working for IMG parity in examinations and examination fees.
- Physician Workforce - responding to the predicted physician shortage and its effect on IMGs.
- Post-September 11 visa problems - working closely with appropriate agencies to address the stringent visa and security procedures that result in the denial and delay of IMGs seeking to come to the U.S. for certification and residency.
- J-1 visa requirements
Issue Brief on IMG Representation in the AMA and Organized Medicine
AMA Policies Related to IMG Representation in the AMA and Organized Medicine