International Medical Graduates (IMG)
Promoting Diversity in Medicine
The AMA International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section represents and promotes the interests of physicians who graduated from medical schools outside of the United States or Canada.
Thirty-seven thousand members strong, all AMA members who are IMGs are automatically members of the AMA-IMG Section.
Subscribe to the IMGS email list to receive weekly updates on issues of interest to international medical graduates.
Volunteers Needed to Conduct Mock Residency Program Interviews
The IMG Section is seeking volunteer interviewers for its Mock Residency Interview Program (MRIP). Physicians or resident/fellows with recent residency program interview experience are encouraged to volunteer. Mock interviews may be conducted in person, via telephone or Skype. Guidelines, sample questions, cv and personal statements will be provided to volunteer interviewers. Read more about this program.
Please note: The online request form requesting a mock interviews will be available in early September.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (312) 464-5041.
Applying for the AMA Research Symposium
This year's symposium will take place Nov. 7-8 at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, in conjunction with the 2014 AMA Interim Meeting. Abstracts are being accepted until midnight Eastern time Aug. 19.
Additional details about applying—including topic categories, submission guidelines and frequently asked questions—are available on the symposium Web page. Don't miss this opportunity to gain recognition for your work, network with your peers and learn from the experienced physicians judging the event. For IMGs awaiting residency, the symposium also can help increase your attractiveness to residency programs by showcasing your research on a national level.
Call for Nominations for IMG representative to LCME
IMG Section AMA members are invited to apply for the vacant professional member position (as of July 1, 2015) on the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). This position will replace a professional member originally appointed by the American Medical Association who will have completed two concurrent terms of service.
Specific requirements include:
- Professional members must hold the MD degree or its recognized foreign equivalent, or an advanced degree in basic medical, behavioral, social, or population health science; educational science; or hospital or
- A practitioner professional member must hold an active medical license and must be actively and significantly engaged in clinical practice while he or she is a member of the LCME.
- An educator professional member must hold or recently have held an administrative or faculty position at an accredited medical education program leading to the M.D. degree and must be significantly engaged in teaching or supervising medical students and/or resident physicians while he or she is a member of the LCME.
- Regardless of their educator or practitioner status, professional members must be knowledgeable about and experienced with the process of medical education in the United States.
General requirements include:
- The LCME seeks racial/ethnic and geographic diversity.
- Familiarity with LCME accreditation standards and experience in the accreditation process for U.S. MD-granting medical schools is preferred.
All nominees are required to submit an abbreviated current curriculum vitae (not to exceed three pages) along with a signed copy of the Conflict of Interest form by July 1, 2014 to email@example.com. Download a nomination form.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call for Nominations for IMG representative to ECFMG Board
Submit your nomination form and curriculum vitae for consideration for the IMG representative to the ECFMG Board of Trustees. Your CV should not exceed 4 pages. The IMG Representative to the ECFMG Board of Trustees will serve a seven-year term. The criteria for being an ECFMG Board member includes the following:
- International experience and knowledge, particularly with respect to international exchange in the biomedical sciences, medical education and/or higher education and science;
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in medical care systems in the U. S. and abroad;
- Demonstrated leadership in medical education, including undergraduate, graduate medical education;
- Geographic distribution and diversity;
- Scholars with knowledge of history of medicine and other sciences;
- Well developed professional skills and expertise, including law, financial management, and fundraising;
- Experience in diverse positions in health care and the medical education system, etc.;and
- Organizational leadership decision-making with voluntary public service activities.
Submit your complete, signed nomination form and CV to email@example.com by Monday, June 16, 2014.
2014 Annual Meeting
Desserts From Around the World Reception
On behalf of the IMG Section Governing Council, we would like to thank all of our sponsors for the 8th Annual Desserts From Around the World Reception. If any societies are interested in sponsoring the 2015 Desserts Reception, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
AMA-IMG Section members and guests are invited to attend the 17th Annual Meeting of the Section, June 6-9 , 2014.
Meeting highlights include:
Presentations provided at the Congress business meeting for the panel discussion, "Recognizing International Graduate Medical Education for Licensure."
IMGs and the US Physician Workforce
John (Jack) R. Boulet, PhD.
Recognition of International GME for State Medical Licensure in the U.S.
Humayun J. Chaudhry, DO, MS, MACP.
University of Manitoba IMG Program
Martina Reslerova, MD, PhD FRCO(C).
AMA Symposium presentations conducted in New York, Dec. 12, 2013. Resources were provided to ECFMG-certified physicians awaiting residency to provide best practices for obtaining a residency, provide information on the IMG Section and show the results of the Physician Satisfaction survey:
2013 AMA-IMG Interim Meeting
November 14-16, 2013
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
National Harbor, Md.
New video from the 2013 AMA-IMG Interim Meeting
View the newly released video from the November 2013 meeting of the Busharat Ahmad, MD Leadership Development Program, "Physician as Leaders and Legislators."
Congressman Tom Price shares his personal story on how to be successful as a physician legislator and have an impact, unique perspective and strong voice on important issues of debate in the U.S.
Slides from the Congress Business Meeting
COGME 21st Report & Implications for IMGs
Gamini Soori, MD
The Health Insurance Marketplace 101
Matthew G. Heinz, MD
Mock Residency Interviews
The AMA-IMG Section is offering a limited number of mock interviews for current AMA members who are going through the 2014 Match process. More information can be found on the AMA-IMGS Mock Residency Interview site.
"Ask the Experts: Immigration Issues Affecting IMGS"
Conrad State 30 and Physician Access Act
Background information, letters of support, state survey results and how you can get involved on our resources page for the Conrad State 30 and Physician Access Act.
2013 Physician Workforce Paper
IMGs in the U.S. Physician Workforce Discussion Paper - 2013 edition
The AMA-IMG Section Governing Council is pleased to provide the 2013 edition of this document which provides information on IMG workforce related issues including: the role of IMGs in the U.S. physician workforce, statistics on IMGs, IMG contributions to the delivery of health care in the U.S. and much more. Please feel free to register and download this IMG Workforce Discussion Paper.
ECFMG-certified membership category
The AMA is pleased to offer membership resources and dedicated support to international medical school graduates (IMGs) who are currently ECFMG-certified and are awaiting matching into a U.S. residency program (GME position). Join today to take advantage of the specific benefits and assistance the AMA offers to individuals at this stage of their medical career.
As a member, you will receive member benefits, such as:
- Powerful advocacy from the only national organization that represents all physicians. From non-discrimination policies to opposing the de-selection of medical schools to timely and fair immigration processing, we are the organization advocating on your behalf.
- Ability to contact AMA-IMGS staff for personalized resources and information to navigate the residency program selection process.
- Enjoy exclusive, members-only discounts on AMA books and products (up to 25 percent off) such as the Graduate Medical Education Directory and FREIDA Online which lists information for all the 8,600 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, as well as 200 Board-approved combined specialty programs, such as internal medicine/psychiatry. Users can search for training programs by selecting specialties, states, or even training institutions.
- Stand united with ECFMG certified individuals looking to match in a residency program, as well as other residents and fellow members nationwide who are committed to the issues that matter to you, from improving resident work conditions, expanding coverage for the uninsured and eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Stay up to date on vital health care issues with award-winning publications like American Medical News, JAMA, Archives journals (with free online access) and AMA Morning Rounds
- Access to Succeeding from Medical School to Practice online guide, which includes valuable information and streaming video to help you confront the nonclinical demands of training and today's practice environment.
- Free access to the only IMG Observership Guidelines and Evaluation Tools available.
- Ability to attend the AMA Annual Congress to participate in IMG Section meetings.
- Discounts on programs and services from partners such as the AMA Physicians Guide to Financial Planning, as well as programs and services from partners such as Hertz and Henry Schein medical supplies.
Join Today! Fill out the an application today to activate your AMA membership:
Call: (800) 262-3211
Fax: (312) 464-5843
Mail: American Medical Association, AMA Plaza, 330 North Wabash, Suite 39300, Chicago, IL 60611-5885
Join an AMA-IMG Section Committee
Your AMA-IMG Section is offering a new venue for AMA-IMG members to be actively involved with the AMA-IMG Section by joining one of the AMA-IMG Section committees. AMA-IMG Section members should carefully look at the listing of committees on the AMA-IMG Section Committee website and send an e-mail to indicating your interest. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail along with conference call scheduling information. We encourage you to take part in these committees and make your voice heard.
Wanted: IMG advisors
After a successful pilot year, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is once again seeking the participation of qualified physicians to serve on its IMG Advisors Network (IAN). IAN allow IMGS who are applying for J-1 visas through the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program to communicate directly with IMGs who have successfully entered or completed GME training in the U.S. Learn more about serving as an advisor in the ECFMG IAN.
The AMA working for IMGs
Current advocacy on IMG issues and efforts to increase visibility of IMGs in the AMA and in organized medicine.
The voice of the IMG Section influences policy and supports advocacy issues. This website includes Congress agendas, ethnic medical society meetings dates, actions from IMG Section meetings and links.
Contact information for AMA Staff, IMG Governing Council and related services.