International Medical Graduates (IMG)
Promoting diversity in medicine
The AMA International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section represents and promotes the interests of physicians who graduated from medical schools outside of the United States or Canada.
Thirty-five thousand members strong, all AMA members who are IMGs are automatically members of the AMA-IMG Section.
2013 Annual IMG Meeting
16th Annual IMG Section Business Meetings
2013 Annual Meeting - IMG Public Agenda
Registration is now open for the 16th Annual IMG Section Business Meetings. All meetings will be held at the Hyatt Regency Chicago hotel, located at 151 E. Wacker Drive. Rates at the Hyatt are $220 single and $245 double, plus 16.4 % tax.
Book your reservations online or call the Hyatt reservations at (888) 421-1442. Please remember to make your reservation by the cutoff date of May 10, 2013 to ensure that your requirements are met.
**Note: When you click the link to register above, you will have to sign into your AMA account or create a new one if you don’t already have an account. Once logged in, just click "continue" on the event registration page (without typing into the fields) to be taken to the A-13 meeting registration form. If you have difficulty creating an account, please contact the Member Service Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org before the meeting registration deadline of June 1st.
View the IMG 2013 Annual Meeting Agenda.
IMG Governing Council Election Results
Many thanks to all AMA IMG Section members who voted in the AMA IMG Governing Council election. Your vote was important to help select these new members.
A hearty congratulations to all new members!
View the 2013 IMG Governing Council Election Results
AMA Support of Conrad State 30 and Physician Access Act
"Ask the Experts: Immigration Issues Affecting IMGS" Webinar
Many thanks for those participants that attended the "Ask the Experts" Webinar. Watch for details on additional information for reviewing this Webinar by presenters: Kristen Harris, JD from Rubman & Harris and Robert Aronson, JD from Aronson & Associates.
Mock Residency Interviews
Please note that this program is currently closed until further notice. Please check back at a later date for further details.
2013 Physician Workforce Paper
IMGs in the U.S. Physician Workforce Discussion Paper - 2013 edition
The AMA-IMG Section Governing Council is pleased to provide the 2013 edition of this document which provides information on IMG workforce related issues including: the role of IMGs in the U.S. physician workforce, statistics on IMGs, IMG contributions to the delivery of health care in the U.S. and much more. Please feel free to register and download this IMG Workforce Discussion Paper.
ECFMG-certified membership category
The AMA is pleased to offer membership resources and dedicated support to international medical school graduates (IMGs) who are currently ECFMG-certified and are awaiting matching into a U.S. residency program (GME position). Join today to take advantage of the specific benefits and assistance the AMA offers to individuals at this stage of their medical career.
As a member, you will receive member benefits, such as:
- Powerful advocacy from the only national organization that represents all physicians. From non-discrimination policies to opposing the de-selection of medical schools to timely and fair immigration processing, we are the organization advocating on your behalf.
- Ability to contact AMA-IMGS staff for personalized resources and information to navigate the residency program selection process.
- Enjoy exclusive, members-only discounts on AMA books and products (up to 25 percent off) such as the Graduate Medical Education Directory and FREIDA Online which lists information for all the 8,600 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, as well as 200 Board-approved combined specialty programs, such as internal medicine/psychiatry. Users can search for training programs by selecting specialties, states, or even training institutions.
- Stand united with ECFMG certified individuals looking to match in a residency program, as well as other residents and fellow members nationwide who are committed to the issues that matter to you, from improving resident work conditions, expanding coverage for the uninsured and eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Stay up to date on vital health care issues with award-winning publications like American Medical News, JAMA, Archives journals (with free online access) and AMA Morning Rounds
- Access to Succeeding from Medical School to Practice online guide, which includes valuable information and streaming video to help you confront the nonclinical demands of training and today's practice environment.
- Free access to the only IMG Observership Guidelines and Evaluation Tools available.
- Ability to attend the AMA Annual Congress to participate in IMG Section meetings.
- Discounts on programs and services from partners such as the AMA Physicians Guide to Financial Planning, as well as programs and services from partners such as Hertz and Henry Schein medical supplies.
Join Today! Fill out the an application today to activate your AMA membership:
Call: (800) 262-3211
Fax: (312) 464-5843
Mail: American Medical Association, Remittance Control, 12th floor, 515 N State Street, Chicago, IL 60654
Join an AMA-IMG Section Committee
Your AMA-IMG Section is offering a new venue for AMA-IMG members to be actively involved with the AMA-IMG Section by joining one of the AMA-IMG Section committees. AMA-IMG Section members should carefully look at the listing of committees on the AMA-IMG Section Committee website and send an e-mail to indicating your interest. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail along with conference call scheduling information. We encourage you to take part in these committees and make your voice heard.
Wanted: IMG advisors
After a successful pilot year, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is once again seeking the participation of qualified physicians to serve on its IMG Advisors Network (IAN). IAN allow IMGS who are applying for J-1 visas through the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program to communicate directly with IMGs who have successfully entered or completed GME training in the U.S. Learn more about serving as an advisor in the ECFMG IAN.
The AMA working for IMGs
Current advocacy on IMG issues and efforts to increase visibility of IMGs in the AMA and in organized medicine.
The voice of the IMG Section influences policy and supports advocacy issues. This website includes Congress agendas, ethnic medical society meetings dates, actions from IMG Section meetings and links.
Contact information for AMA Staff, IMG Governing Council and related services.