International Medical Graduates (IMG)
Promoting Diversity in Medicine
The AMA International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section represents and promotes the interests of physicians who graduated from medical schools outside of the United States or Canada.
Thirty-eight thousand members strong, all AMA members who are IMGs are automatically members of the AMA-IMG Section.
Subscribe to the IMGS email list to receive weekly updates on issues of interest to international medical graduates.
AMA-IMG Section members are invited to cast their votes for the candidates being considered in the 2015 IMGS Governing Council election. There are three vacancies (two regular positions and one resident/fellow position.) Please vote for no more than two candidates for the regular positions; and then vote "yes or no" for the resident/fellow candidate.
If you did not receive an election ballot, send an e-mail to email@example.com Please remember to cast your votes from April 2 - 22nd. The election ends at midnight on April 22nd.
Don’t miss the opportunity to approve the resolutions being considered for the Annual Meeting. AMA-IMG Section members will receive a SurveyMonkey invitation to approve these resolutions on April 15th. The last day to submit your approval is April 22nd. You may also view the resolutions at the IMG Section Virtual Congress webpage. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support and being an IMG Section member.
AMA-IMG Section members are invited to get engaged with your Section and participate in the State of the Section teleconference scheduled for Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 7:00 pm CST; 8:00 pm EST. Mark your calendars and plan to join this teleconference to hear a guest speaker and learn about IMG Section activities, receive an update on the Assistant Physician Missouri legislation and more. Submit an e-mail request to email@example.com to request an agenda and teleconference dial information.
AMA-IMG Section members and guests may now register for the18th Annual Meetings of the IMG Section which are scheduled for June 5-8. These meetings are in conjunction with the AMA House of Delegates meeting at the Hyatt Regency Chicago located at 151 E. Wacker Dr.
There are many educational programs, speakers and events scheduled for this Annual event.
The deadline to register is May 26, 2015 (11:59 pm) Attendees may book their reservations online or call Hyatt reservations at 888-421-1442888-421-1442.
Plan to make your reservation by the cutoff date of May 10, 2015 to insure that your requirements are met. Hotel room availability cannot be guaranteed after the published cutoff date.
Special Airline Discount
An airline discount is available on United Airlines. The United discount may be obtained online.
Enter origin, destination, and travel dates
Enter ZTXM362176 in Offer Code box
Available flights will be displayed. When an available flight is selected the discounted fare will automatically be calculated. The discount is valid for travel 3 days prior to and 3 days after the official meeting dates.
A discount may also be obtained by calling United Airlines Meetings at 800-426-1122800-426-1122 (a service fee will apply) and mention Z code ZTXM and Agreement code 362176.
Congratulations to the November 2014 IMG Section Symposium Winners:
Osama Siddique, MD, Podium presentation (Mich.)
Vaibhav Goswami, MD, Poster presentation (Ky.)
Applying for the AMA Research Symposium
This year's symposium will take place Nov. 13-14 in Atlanta, GA in conjunction with the 2015 AMA Interim Meeting. Abstracts are being accepted until midnight Eastern time Aug. 19.
Additional details about applying—including topic categories, submission guidelines and frequently asked questions—are available on the symposium Web page. Don't miss this opportunity to gain recognition for your work, network with your peers and learn from the experienced physicians judging the event. For IMGs awaiting residency, the symposium also can help increase your attractiveness to residency programs by showcasing your research on a national level.
If you’re interested in participating in the 2015 AMA Research Symposium on Nov. 13 in Atlanta, save this date. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECFMG-certified membership category
The AMA is pleased to offer membership resources and dedicated support to international medical school graduates (IMGs) who are currently ECFMG-certified and are awaiting matching into a U.S. residency program (GME position). Join today to take advantage of the specific benefits and assistance the AMA offers to individuals at this stage of their medical career.
As a member, you will receive member benefits, such as:
- Powerful advocacy from the only national organization that represents all physicians. From non-discrimination policies to opposing the de-selection of medical schools to timely and fair immigration processing, we are the organization advocating on your behalf.
- Ability to contact AMA-IMGS staff for personalized resources and information to navigate the residency program selection process.
- Enjoy exclusive, members-only discounts on AMA books and products (up to 25 percent off) such as the Graduate Medical Education Directory and FREIDA Online which lists information for all the 8,600 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, as well as 200 Board-approved combined specialty programs, such as internal medicine/psychiatry. Users can search for training programs by selecting specialties, states, or even training institutions.
- Stand united with ECFMG certified individuals looking to match in a residency program, as well as other residents and fellow members nationwide who are committed to the issues that matter to you, from improving resident work conditions, expanding coverage for the uninsured and eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Stay up to date on vital health care issues with award-winning publications like American Medical News, JAMA, Archives journals (with free online access) and AMA Morning Rounds
- Access to Succeeding from Medical School to Practice online guide, which includes valuable information and streaming video to help you confront the nonclinical demands of training and today's practice environment.
- Free access to the only IMG Observership Guidelines and Evaluation Tools available.
- Ability to attend the AMA Annual Congress to participate in IMG Section meetings.
- Discounts on programs and services from partners such as the AMA Physicians Guide to Financial Planning, as well as programs and services from partners such as Hertz and Henry Schein medical supplies.
Join Today! Fill out the an application today to activate your AMA membership:
Call: (800) 262-3211
Fax: (312) 464-5843
Mail: American Medical Association, AMA Plaza, 330 North Wabash, Suite 39300, Chicago, IL 60611-5885
Join an AMA-IMG Section Committee
Your AMA-IMG Section is offering a new venue for AMA-IMG members to be actively involved with the AMA-IMG Section by joining one of the AMA-IMG Section committees. AMA-IMG Section members should carefully look at the listing of committees on the AMA-IMG Section Committee website and send an e-mail to indicating your interest. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail along with conference call scheduling information. We encourage you to take part in these committees and make your voice heard.
Wanted: IMG advisors
After a successful pilot year, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is once again seeking the participation of qualified physicians to serve on its IMG Advisors Network (IAN). IAN allow IMGS who are applying for J-1 visas through the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program to communicate directly with IMGs who have successfully entered or completed GME training in the U.S. Learn more about serving as an advisor in the ECFMG IAN.
The AMA working for IMGs
Current advocacy on IMG issues and efforts to increase visibility of IMGs in the AMA and in organized medicine.
The voice of the IMG Section influences policy and supports advocacy issues. This website includes Congress agendas, ethnic medical society meetings dates, actions from IMG Section meetings and links.
Contact information for AMA Staff, IMG Governing Council and related services.