International Medical Graduates (IMG)
Promoting diversity in medicine
The AMA International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section represents and promotes the interests of physicians who graduated from medical schools outside of the United States or Canada.
Thirty-five thousand members strong, all AMA members who are IMGs are automatically members of the AMA-IMG Section.
2013 AMA-IMG Interim Meeting
November 14-16, 2013
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
National Harbor, Md.
Slides from the Congress Business Meeting
COGME 21st Report & Implications for IMGs
Gamini Soori, MD
The Health Insurance Marketplace 101
Matthew G. Heinz, MD
Mock Residency Interviews
The AMA-IMG Section is offering a limited number of mock interviews for current AMA members who are going through the 2014 Match process. More information can be found on the AMA-IMGS Mock Residency Interview site.
"Ask the Experts: Immigration Issues Affecting IMGS"
Webinar available online
IMG Section members may now view the webinar, "Ask the Experts: Immigration Issues Affecting IMGs" online. Register online to review this free webinar to better understand immigration issues affecting IMGS today. This webinar can be viewed on the AMA Learning Management System .
Participants are eligible to receive PRA Category 1 Credit after review of this program.
This webinar is designed to assist international medical graduates and their colleagues in understanding immigration laws and trends about the J-1/J-2 and H-1B visa categories, permanent resident, Visa waivers, etc.
Kristen Harris, JD, Presenter
Kristen A. Harris is a partner of Rubman & Harris, LLC, a boutique immigration law firm. She is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Yale University (B.A., M.A.) and holds a J.D. degree from the University of Michigan Law School. Ms. Harris writes and speaks frequently regarding business immigration issues, particularly those regarding physicians and other health care providers. Ms. Harris is the Advocacy Co-Chair of the IMG Taskforce, a national non-profit organization advocating for legal improvements for foreign national IMGs and the health care systems that employ them.
Robert Aronson, JD, Presenter
Robert D. Aronson, JD, is the Managing Attorney at Aronson & Associates, based in Minneapolis, MN. He is a nationally prominent authority on immigration law for International Medical Graduates (IMGs) based on his work in the field over the past 25 years. He recurrently serves as immigration legal counsel to many of the foremost corporate, medical, and university institutions that face complex immigration legal challenges in their recruitment of foreign professionals. Mr. Aronson has authored over 70 peer-reviewed articles on immigration matters for IMGs.
For an optimal experience, please view this webinar on one of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Firefox 3.5 or above
- Safari 4.0 or above
- Google Chrome 4.1 or above
The American Medical Association designates this webinar activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Conrad State 30 and Physician Access Act
View background information, letters of support, state survey results and how you can get involved on our resources page for the Conrad State 30 and Physician Access Act.
2013 Physician Workforce Paper
IMGs in the U.S. Physician Workforce Discussion Paper - 2013 edition
The AMA-IMG Section Governing Council is pleased to provide the 2013 edition of this document which provides information on IMG workforce related issues including: the role of IMGs in the U.S. physician workforce, statistics on IMGs, IMG contributions to the delivery of health care in the U.S. and much more. Please feel free to register and download this IMG Workforce Discussion Paper.
ECFMG-certified membership category
The AMA is pleased to offer membership resources and dedicated support to international medical school graduates (IMGs) who are currently ECFMG-certified and are awaiting matching into a U.S. residency program (GME position). Join today to take advantage of the specific benefits and assistance the AMA offers to individuals at this stage of their medical career.
As a member, you will receive member benefits, such as:
- Powerful advocacy from the only national organization that represents all physicians. From non-discrimination policies to opposing the de-selection of medical schools to timely and fair immigration processing, we are the organization advocating on your behalf.
- Ability to contact AMA-IMGS staff for personalized resources and information to navigate the residency program selection process.
- Enjoy exclusive, members-only discounts on AMA books and products (up to 25 percent off) such as the Graduate Medical Education Directory and FREIDA Online which lists information for all the 8,600 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, as well as 200 Board-approved combined specialty programs, such as internal medicine/psychiatry. Users can search for training programs by selecting specialties, states, or even training institutions.
- Stand united with ECFMG certified individuals looking to match in a residency program, as well as other residents and fellow members nationwide who are committed to the issues that matter to you, from improving resident work conditions, expanding coverage for the uninsured and eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Stay up to date on vital health care issues with award-winning publications like American Medical News, JAMA, Archives journals (with free online access) and AMA Morning Rounds
- Access to Succeeding from Medical School to Practice online guide, which includes valuable information and streaming video to help you confront the nonclinical demands of training and today's practice environment.
- Free access to the only IMG Observership Guidelines and Evaluation Tools available.
- Ability to attend the AMA Annual Congress to participate in IMG Section meetings.
- Discounts on programs and services from partners such as the AMA Physicians Guide to Financial Planning, as well as programs and services from partners such as Hertz and Henry Schein medical supplies.
Join Today! Fill out the an application today to activate your AMA membership:
Call: (800) 262-3211
Fax: (312) 464-5843
Mail: American Medical Association, Remittance Control, 12th floor, 515 N State Street, Chicago, IL 60654
Join an AMA-IMG Section Committee
Your AMA-IMG Section is offering a new venue for AMA-IMG members to be actively involved with the AMA-IMG Section by joining one of the AMA-IMG Section committees. AMA-IMG Section members should carefully look at the listing of committees on the AMA-IMG Section Committee website and send an e-mail to indicating your interest. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail along with conference call scheduling information. We encourage you to take part in these committees and make your voice heard.
Wanted: IMG advisors
After a successful pilot year, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is once again seeking the participation of qualified physicians to serve on its IMG Advisors Network (IAN). IAN allow IMGS who are applying for J-1 visas through the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program to communicate directly with IMGs who have successfully entered or completed GME training in the U.S. Learn more about serving as an advisor in the ECFMG IAN.
The AMA working for IMGs
Current advocacy on IMG issues and efforts to increase visibility of IMGs in the AMA and in organized medicine.
The voice of the IMG Section influences policy and supports advocacy issues. This website includes Congress agendas, ethnic medical society meetings dates, actions from IMG Section meetings and links.
Contact information for AMA Staff, IMG Governing Council and related services.