International Medical Graduates (IMG)
Promoting Diversity in Medicine
The AMA International Medical Graduates (IMG) Section represents and promotes the interests of physicians who graduated from medical schools outside of the United States or Canada.
Thirty-seven thousand members strong, all AMA members who are IMGs are automatically members of the AMA-IMG Section.
Subscribe to the IMGS email list to receive weekly updates on issues of interest to international medical graduates.
The IMG Section is accepting a limited number of requests from medical graduates who have interviews scheduled for the 2015 match process. Interviews may be conducted in person, via Skype or via telephone with a current resident, fellow or established physician. Guidelines and expectations, along with sample interview questions and interview instructions, will be provided to the interviewee and the volunteer interviewer prior to the interview. Read more about this program and register for an mock interview.
The IMG Section is seeking volunteer interviewers for its Mock Residency Interview Program (MRIP). Physicians or resident/fellows with recent residency program interview experience are encouraged to volunteer. Mock interviews may be conducted in person, via telephone or Skype. Guidelines, sample questions, cv and personal statements will be provided to volunteer interviewers. Read more about this program.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (312) 464-5041.
This year's symposium will take place Nov. 7-8 at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, in conjunction with the 2014 AMA Interim Meeting. Abstracts are being accepted until midnight Eastern time Aug. 19.
Additional details about applying—including topic categories, submission guidelines and frequently asked questions—are available on the symposium Web page. Don't miss this opportunity to gain recognition for your work, network with your peers and learn from the experienced physicians judging the event. For IMGs awaiting residency, the symposium also can help increase your attractiveness to residency programs by showcasing your research on a national level.
Nov. 7-10, 2014
Make plans to attend the 2014 Interim Meeting of the IMG Section. Here’s a snapshot of the events taking place in Dallas.
- Friday, Nov. 7 – AMA 12th Annual Research Symposium – 3:00 pm – 6:30 pm (view poster presentations and come to hear the oral presentations by the ECFMG-certified candidates awaiting residency, medical students and residents. An educational program is planned prior to this Symposium, followed by a reception at the conclusion of this event.)
- Saturday, Nov. 8 – IMGS Congress – 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Sunday, Nov. 9 – Busharat Ahmad, MD Leadership Development Program – 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
- Monday, Nov. 10 – IMGS Delegates Caucus – 9:30 am – 11:30 am
The deadline to register is October 31, 11:59 pm EST.
Housing and Travel Information
The headquarters hotel for the Interim Meeting is the Hilton Anatole, 2201 North Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, Texas 75207. Information on hotel reservations is available on the meeting website. Your room can be booked online or by calling (214) 748-1200. Room rates range from $219 to $279 (excluding suites and not including taxes). Reservations should be made by the cutoff date of October 6, as availability after that cannot be guaranteed.
Airline discounts are available on both American Airlines and United Airlines.
Book your American Airlines reservation online and receive a 5% discount:
- Click on Refine Your Search
- Enter origin, destination, and travel dates
- Enter authorization code 92N4AZ in Promotion Code box
To fly on United Airlines and receive a discount, call United Airlines Meetings at (800) 426-1122 and mention Z code ZRMH and Agreement code 761645. The United discount may also be obtained online:
- Click on Advanced Search
- Enter origin, destination, and travel dates
- Enter ZRMH761645 in Offer Code box
Available flights will be displayed. When an available flight is selected the discounted fare will automatically be calculated. The discount is valid for travel 3 days prior to and 3 days after the official meeting dates.
Desserts From Around the World Reception
On behalf of the IMG Section Governing Council, we would like to thank all of our sponsors for the 8th Annual Desserts From Around the World Reception. If any societies are interested in sponsoring the 2015 Desserts Reception, please e-mail email@example.com
AMA-IMG Section members and guests are invited to attend the 17th Annual Meeting of the Section, June 6-9 , 2014.
Meeting highlights include:
Presentations provided at the Congress business meeting for the panel discussion, "Recognizing International Graduate Medical Education for Licensure."
IMGs and the US Physician Workforce
John (Jack) R. Boulet, PhD.
Recognition of International GME for State Medical Licensure in the U.S.
Humayun J. Chaudhry, DO, MS, MACP.
University of Manitoba IMG Program
Martina Reslerova, MD, PhD FRCO(C).
AMA Symposium presentations conducted in New York, Dec. 12, 2013. Resources were provided to ECFMG-certified physicians awaiting residency to provide best practices for obtaining a residency, provide information on the IMG Section and show the results of the Physician Satisfaction survey:
Background information, letters of support, state survey results and how you can get involved on our resources page for the Conrad State 30 and Physician Access Act.
IMGs in the U.S. Physician Workforce Discussion Paper - 2013 edition
The AMA-IMG Section Governing Council is pleased to provide the 2013 edition of this document which provides information on IMG workforce related issues including: the role of IMGs in the U.S. physician workforce, statistics on IMGs, IMG contributions to the delivery of health care in the U.S. and much more. Please feel free to register and download this IMG Workforce Discussion Paper.
ECFMG-certified membership category
The AMA is pleased to offer membership resources and dedicated support to international medical school graduates (IMGs) who are currently ECFMG-certified and are awaiting matching into a U.S. residency program (GME position). Join today to take advantage of the specific benefits and assistance the AMA offers to individuals at this stage of their medical career.
As a member, you will receive member benefits, such as:
- Powerful advocacy from the only national organization that represents all physicians. From non-discrimination policies to opposing the de-selection of medical schools to timely and fair immigration processing, we are the organization advocating on your behalf.
- Ability to contact AMA-IMGS staff for personalized resources and information to navigate the residency program selection process.
- Enjoy exclusive, members-only discounts on AMA books and products (up to 25 percent off) such as the Graduate Medical Education Directory and FREIDA Online which lists information for all the 8,600 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, as well as 200 Board-approved combined specialty programs, such as internal medicine/psychiatry. Users can search for training programs by selecting specialties, states, or even training institutions.
- Stand united with ECFMG certified individuals looking to match in a residency program, as well as other residents and fellow members nationwide who are committed to the issues that matter to you, from improving resident work conditions, expanding coverage for the uninsured and eliminating racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Stay up to date on vital health care issues with award-winning publications like American Medical News, JAMA, Archives journals (with free online access) and AMA Morning Rounds
- Access to Succeeding from Medical School to Practice online guide, which includes valuable information and streaming video to help you confront the nonclinical demands of training and today's practice environment.
- Free access to the only IMG Observership Guidelines and Evaluation Tools available.
- Ability to attend the AMA Annual Congress to participate in IMG Section meetings.
- Discounts on programs and services from partners such as the AMA Physicians Guide to Financial Planning, as well as programs and services from partners such as Hertz and Henry Schein medical supplies.
Join Today! Fill out the an application today to activate your AMA membership:
Call: (800) 262-3211
Fax: (312) 464-5843
Mail: American Medical Association, AMA Plaza, 330 North Wabash, Suite 39300, Chicago, IL 60611-5885
Join an AMA-IMG Section Committee
Your AMA-IMG Section is offering a new venue for AMA-IMG members to be actively involved with the AMA-IMG Section by joining one of the AMA-IMG Section committees. AMA-IMG Section members should carefully look at the listing of committees on the AMA-IMG Section Committee website and send an e-mail to indicating your interest. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail along with conference call scheduling information. We encourage you to take part in these committees and make your voice heard.
Wanted: IMG advisors
After a successful pilot year, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is once again seeking the participation of qualified physicians to serve on its IMG Advisors Network (IAN). IAN allow IMGS who are applying for J-1 visas through the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program to communicate directly with IMGs who have successfully entered or completed GME training in the U.S. Learn more about serving as an advisor in the ECFMG IAN.
The AMA working for IMGs
Current advocacy on IMG issues and efforts to increase visibility of IMGs in the AMA and in organized medicine.
The voice of the IMG Section influences policy and supports advocacy issues. This website includes Congress agendas, ethnic medical society meetings dates, actions from IMG Section meetings and links.
Contact information for AMA Staff, IMG Governing Council and related services.