AMA Mission & Guiding Principles
To promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
Our guiding principles set the aspirations that we endeavor to achieve:
- AMA is one enterprise, highly capable, well coordinated and focused on high impact results.
- AMA believes that there is a national imperative to chart a successful course for health care delivery that will improve the health of the nation.
- AMA embraces the need for change and believes physician leadership is critical to the successful evolution of health care in a patient focused delivery system.
- AMA will build on its legacy of leading physician ethics, setting standards for medical education, and advancing medical science to serve as the premier voice for the core values of the medical profession.
- AMA has the unique combination of talent with practical skills and intellectual capabilities, the financial resources, and influential multi-sector relationships to be a leading voice in the transformation of health care.
The AMA has a robust House of Delegates consisting of representation from every State and medical society, a solid base of physician members, a thriving advocacy influence, the most revered journals and resources in medicine, and respected practice tools.
Together, we can shape a better, healthier future – not just for patients and physicians, but for the country as a whole.