Health Literacy Resources
Health Literacy Kit
The Health Literacy and Patient Safety: Help Patients Understand educational kit is the AMA Foundation's primary tool for informing physicians, health care professionals and patient advocates about health literacy.
The health literacy kit includes:
- an instructional video on DVD and CD-ROM (also available on VHS*)
- an in-depth manual for clinicians
- additional resources for education and involvement
Kits can be purchased for $35 through the AMA Store or by calling (800) 621-8335. If you're calling, please mention AMA Bookstore Item #0P221007.
* VHS versions of the video are sold separately from the kit for $10. To order, visit the AMA Store or call (800) 621-8335 and mention AMA Bookstore Item #OP221407.
This 2007 version of the health literacy kit is updated from the previous version in that:
- the instructional video is now on DVD and CD-ROM formats, rather than VHS and CD-ROM.
- the manual for clinicians contains updated health literacy research data.
- it includes an extra packet of tear-off pads for the patient reception area display (for a total of two pads).
- the packaging has a slimmer and sleeker look.
Continuing Medical Education credit is no longer associated with this product
Original release date: May 2007
Date of most recent activity review: April 2009
Activity expiration date: May 2012
Disclosures for content reviewers:
Claudette Dalton, MD, Rockingham Memorial Hospital, Harrisonburg, Va. – Nothing to disclose
Daniel Oates, MD, M.Sc., Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass. – Nothing to disclose
Thank you to our supporters!
The 2007 Health Literacy kit is sponsored in part by AstraZeneca. Health Literacy is a program of the AMA Foundation. All content has been developed and produced by AMA Medicine & Public Health.