• A
  • |
  • A
  • Text size

Protected Reporting of Safety and Quality Concerns

Hospital staff members and employees can file complaints against Medicare-certified providers or facilities by contacting the following organizations:

1. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)

Complaints can be filed directly with CMS either verbally or in writing. Call I-800-Medicare (I-800-633-4227) and report complaints to a customer service representative. Learn more about filing complaints on the CMS website.

CMS Website

2. State health agency (state survey agency)

Physicians can file complaints regarding Medicare Conditions of Participation with the state health agency that serves as CMS's survey agency. Locate the phone number for your state health agency by looking at the blue pages in the telephone book. Or visit the CMS website and click on "Locate a State Survey Agency by State" under "Quality of Care (State Survey Agencies).

3. Medicare Quality Improvement Organization (QIO)

Concerns about the quality of patient care can also be reported to the state's QIO. To obtain contact information for a QIO, call I-800-Medicare, or visit the American Health Quality Association website and click on "QIO Locator".

4. Hospital Accreditation Programs

Physicians who have concerns about facilities accredited by The Joint Commission, HFAP and DNV can submit annoymous complaints directly to the accreditation program.

  • To report concerns to The Joint Commission, visit their website
  • To report concerns to HFAP, visit their website and click on "Reporting a Complaint Against a Healthcare Organization".
  • To report concerns to DNV, call 1-866-523-6842