• A
  • |
  • A
  • Text size

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a physician who was trained outside the US. Now I want to move to the United States to practice medicine. What do I need to do?

Becoming licensed to practice medicine in the US requires many steps beginning with certification by the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Consult its Web site to obtain information and application materials.

Can physicians trained outside the United States belong to the AMA?

Yes. A new nonvoting category for international members was approved in December 1999. Go the the AMA Membership page for details on benefits and an application.

I am a US physician interested in volunteering my services. Where can I find information on available opportunities?

Start your search by going to the AMA Volunteer Opportunities page. Additionally, JAMA Career Center offers a current list of opportunities as a service to its readers. For more detailed information or special assistance, AMA Members may contact the Office of International Medicine.

I have some good used medical equipment I want to donate to a needy hospital or clinic. How do I do this?

There are very few organizations that accept donations of medical equipment. Usually the cost of shipping it, getting it through customs, training local operators, etc, is more than the equipment is worth. Many times the equipment is unsuitable for overseas hospitals and clinics due to electric current requirements and availability of repair parts. AMA Members may contact the Office of International Medicine for advice, should they choose to pursue equipment donation.

What vaccinations will I need for my overseas trip?

Up-to-the-minute information on vaccines and other travel health concerns is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.